Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Finger loose!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
MississippiMudd
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finger loose!

This is my first post on this site, but let me thank everyone for all the info I've already found on here! I'm elbow deep in grease, tearing into the primary/mainshaft leak I inherited with my 99 road king police, 50,000 miles. I think I've got a good handle on what this project entails thanks to this forum. Today I went out to the shop to finally try taking the belt pulley nut off. When I was loosening the two lock plate screws I noticed the mainshaft nut wiggling. I thought, "no way in hell". Sure enough, I got the lock plate off and was able to take the mainshaft nut off with my fingers. Yeah, I know you are all jealous I didn't have to use a 5 foot cheater pipe. I then pulled the spacer out and noticed the back face of the spacer was worn really bad with a bur on the back edge. Is this normal? I am guessing the wear is what caused the nut to be loose... I am planning on replacing the spacer, quad seal, main seal and 5th gear seal. Will that be enough, or is the excessive wear on the back of the spacer an indication of a bigger problem? Anyone else ever run into this?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Check out your main bearing and make sure it did not get beat up too bad. Your spacer did not cause your nut to come loose but I can see your nut being loose as the cause of your spacer having odd wear. Also make sure the threads on your main drive gear are in tact by screwing the nut on all the way with the pulley off.Check the splines on your pulley as well if it was loose they may have gotten chewed up.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
MississippiMudd
Stage II

Thanks Mark! I haven't pulled the seals yet to look at the bearing, I'm waiting for all of the new parts to come in...

I'm curious how the nut could get this loose with the lock plate in place. Is the a common problem?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Not common if it was done right originally. Clean the nut with lacquer thin as well as the threads on the main drive gear. Apply red loctite to the nut and the torque spec is 80 foot plus 30 degrees or.......do what we do hit the f@#ker with an impact gun you will nut hurt the main drive gear and it will make sure it is tight.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

Dude, I know this is a old post but once I got off the primary, I saw the too screws holding the lockplate for the sprocket nut had sheared off in the pulley, the lockplate dangling from the mainshaft as was the SPROCKET NUT. chewed the case all kinds of up Replacing EVERYTHING

Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
lost_roadking
Novice
Default ring around the mainshaft

can you say ring around the mainshaft?