Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Not sure if a clutch issue or not ???

Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
ml crisis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure if a clutch issue or not ???

Had the whole clutch assy & compensating sprocket off with chain (08 Rocker). It was all working fine. Did not disassemble the clutch and put the whole assembly back together, adjusted the clutch. Have not put the chain tensioner and cover back on yet. When I put it in gear, pull the clutch in and rotate the rear wheel it is remaining engaged and trying to rotate the engine. Not sure what can be wrong if anything and wondering if it is a lack of lubrication, somehow speed related or ??? Noticed the manual makes a big deal out of soaking the clutch plates in oil. Appreciate any feedback.. Thanks

Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,476 Likes on 4,602 Posts

There will always be some drag on the clutch, even when it is disengaged, it`s the nature of a wet clutch.

Feeling drag when you rotate the rear wheel by hand with transmission in gear is normal, you should be able to rotate the wheel, but it will not spin free as if it were in neutral.

Just be sure the clutch and cable are adjusted in accordance with the service manual.

Don`t worry about soaking the plates in oil, that is only required when installing new plates.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
ml crisis
Intermediate

Dan, thanks for the feedback, I was hopng it was normal for some reason. I gather the drag is fairly strong because at one point I even lowered the rear to put some weight on the rear wheel, rotated the engine with it in gear and clutch disengaged and it was still trying to turn the rear wheel. Although I had no where near full weight on the tire, proabably only 20 - 30 pounds. I gather with full weight I would have been OK.. ?? Thanks again..

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Just to make sure, pull the clutch back off, put the bike in neutral grab the transmission main shaft and spin the wheel. The wheel should spin but the mainshaft should not spin in your hand. If this is the case you are good to go if not.... I guess we start the process of telling you how to change out your main drive gear bearings.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
ml crisis
Intermediate

Thanks. I believe I'm in good shape there. Didn't do exactly that but before reasembling I could spin the transmision shaft effortlessly and the rear wheel wouldn't turn...