Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

new hd owner with a question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
2000fxdl
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new hd owner with a question..

i bought a 2000 dyna lowrider a couple weeks ago.. i have a fluid box on my right side thats the tranny right? a cable comes out of it to the clutch.. the dipstick is reading empty and the fluid smells kinda old and burnt that i can fish out of there with my finger.. its been riding fine since i bought it but i know that cant be good to not be reading on the stick.. what do i fill this with? is it the tranny?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
dynaratt
Advanced

The right side of your bike has two fill holes. The big knurled cap with the orangish dip stick is the engine oil. That needs to be checked with the bike on the side stand. The trans is the small hole in the chrome cover you explained,with the 3/8's (i think) allen to remove. The tranny must be checked with the bike straight up and down and the dip stick NOT screwed in but evenly sitting atop the hole. The trans only holds about 28oz at best on yours. The drain plug is under the bike and its the one that is screwed in from the bottom, not the side edge of the pan which is the engine oil plug. Ride it till plenty warm, throw a drain pan under it and drain what ever it is in the trans. Reinstall the plug with a new "o" ring and refill thru the dip stick hole till full on the dip stick. Be gentle with the engine and trans drain plugs as the oil pan is easliy stripped, DAHIK.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
2000fxdl
Stage II

Originally Posted by dynaratt
The right side of your bike has two fill holes. The big knurled cap with the orangish dip stick is the engine oil. That needs to be checked with the bike on the side stand. The trans is the small hole in the chrome cover you explained,with the 3/8's (i think) allen to remove. The tranny must be checked with the bike straight up and down and the dip stick NOT screwed in but evenly sitting atop the hole. The trans only holds about 28oz at best on yours. The drain plug is under the bike and its the one that is screwed in from the bottom, not the side edge of the pan which is the engine oil plug. Ride it till plenty warm, throw a drain pan under it and drain what ever it is in the trans. Reinstall the plug with a new "o" ring and refill thru the dip stick hole till full on the dip stick. Be gentle with the engine and trans drain plugs as the oil pan is easliy stripped, DAHIK.
i think all this stuff is aftermarket.. i checked the dipstick yesterday when it was on the kick stand on my uphill driveway maybe i should check it upright? sorry i am a real noob just came up on this bike and fell in love..

Attached Thumbnails new hd owner with a question..-img_8940.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, tranny. Do as Dynaratt suggested.