Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

softail tranny shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default softail tranny shifting problem

I have a 1990 softail custom with around 29k. The bike drove and shifted fine when I got it. Lately the transmission has been acting up. It drives fine in all gears. The problem is shifting. I start the bike in neutral, shift down into first and drive off. Shift up through all the gears and begin to down shift. Bike will not go back into first on the way back down. If I reach down with my hand and jiggle the shifter, lift up and click it down it will pop into first. A real pain in the ***!!!

I have been told that the top cover can be removed and the shifting mech can be adjusted and this will probably solve the problem. I noticed that I can get an ultima 6 speed tranny on e-bay for 550 bucks delivered. Should I take the bike to a shop and have them try and adjust the shifter mech (assuming this is the issue) or should I just go with a new unit??

Does the shifter adjustment sound like a common issue that could be fixed for a couple hundred or will I spend a couple hundred to find out I need a new one anyway???

Thanx

Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Check your shift linkage first, the heim joints could be rusty and binding. Hit them with some penetrating oil and swivel them around.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
ctluba
Road Captain

Thanx, I will try that.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Lnkage seems pretty tight and squared away. No play in arm and all joints free etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I would have the shifter pawl adjustment checked next.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Check the shift lever at the transmission, make sure it is tight on the shaft.

Make sure the clutch and cable are adjusted properly.

Adjusting the shifter pawl is a simple process, the most difficult part is removing the top cover from the transmission, because on the Softail you must first remove the oil tank, but that is no big deal.

To make removing the oil tank easier, first remove the inner fender, then you can get your hands in there to undo the hoses and the rear fasteners on the tank.

That 550 dollar gearset is junk compared to the gearset already in your bike. The OEM 5 speed is an excellent unit.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
ctluba
Road Captain

That (the shifter pawl) will be the next step.

The clutch and cable are adjusted properly. I hate pulling that friggin oil tank again, but gotta get her done!!

Thanx for all the tips. I will let ya know.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Update fellas,

Had a mechanic look at the bike. He inspected it and determined it was one of the springs on the shifter mech. The spring that requires the whole gear set to be pulled out to access it. I pulled the tranny out of the bike to save $$$ and brought it to him. He is going to install some type of upgraded shifter mech and check all the seals and the whole unit. Hopefully have it back this weekend and throw it in the bike.

Thanx for all the info.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by ctluba
Update fellas,

Had a mechanic look at the bike. He inspected it and determined it was one of the springs on the shifter mech. The spring that requires the whole gear set to be pulled out to access it. I pulled the tranny out of the bike to save $$$ and brought it to him. He is going to install some type of upgraded shifter mech and check all the seals and the whole unit. Hopefully have it back this weekend and throw it in the bike.

Thanx for all the info.
Why didn`t you do the whole job? There was no need to remove the transmission from the frame...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-21-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Broken shifter pawl spring; not uncommon on the early models. I believe it was upgraded in 2002; Dan89 will correct me if I am mistaken. Baker makes one as well.

I agree with Dan; could have made the repair with the tranny case in the frame. I tackled my first gear box adventure October last year. A good experience, learned a lot and won't have second thoughts should I need to do it again on my bike or one of the friends or family member's bikes.

Quick Reply: softail tranny shifting problem