Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

What the Heck??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the Heck??

Bike is a 2009 FLHTC with almost 50k miles.

I got the bike out of the shop a week ago after they replaced the Compensator Sprocket, Stator, Main Shaft, Bearing and Race and some Trans Components. Bike was running great and several issues that preceeded these repairs were gone. Friday I got home from work. Bike was good and warm. When I pulled into the garage I could hear a distintive rattle while in neutral. Pulled the clutch in and it mellowed. Clutch out rattle. Rode right to the dealer and it got worse to the point I could hear it in gear.
Definitely sounds like something came apart in there. Unfortunately I am once again without my bike. Frustrated

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch not adjusted properly could have led to wear on the throw out mechanism.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Assegai
Clutch not adjusted properly could have led to wear on the throw out mechanism.
Could it happen that quickly?? Or could it have something to do with new parts combining with older parts?
Going this deep, am I in for a long road of repairs??

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Is it true the New SE Comp sprocket makes a different noise?
I haven't picked it up yet. But they r saying drive belt was out of adjustment. Primary fluid was low about 1/4 of a quart

Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Yes I know there are many many discussions regarding the SE Compensator, but i have not found one of them describing the noise I heard Friday.
I got the Compensator replaced due to failure and picked it up over a week ago. I immediately noticed a huge difference in the way it started. it seemed to idle smoother and when leaving a stop light it seemed to proceed more cleanly.
After having it a week and real happy I was on my way home as usual it was a warmer day (over 80) and got stuck in a couple miles of stop and go traffic. When I got home I pulled in the garage and put the bike in neutral. I released the clutch and heard what sounded like a loose chain or some sort of clatter. Engaged clutch and it stopped. Released clutch and nolise back. The sound resinated thru the cam compartment to the point I was not sure it wasnt there. Other than it would go away when clutch was pulled.
I rode directly to the dealer and left the bike running so they could hear what i was hearing. Tech also came out to listen. I have faith in this particular tech and unfortunately he did not do the repairs this time. But did do the follow up n the come back
His findings were low oil in primary and trans. He checked primary chain tension. He added the necessary oil and it seemed to quiet down a bit.
Tech says these new SE Comp sprockets do make the type noise i described but it was louder due to oil levels.
Picked up the bike, definitely quieted down but i was not able to repeat the higher temps