Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Remove Trans Shaft Nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Remove Trans Shaft Nut

Hi all,

A few months ago I posted asking for help in removing the inner bearing race from the trans shaft, which is just in front of the front pulley.

I was advised to get a puller http://www.ebay.com/itm/310563864538...84.m1497.l2649 I did. Now, there isn't enough space between the nut and the inner race for me to get puller (half-moon shaped part) behind the inner race.

As an FYI for everyone, I can't even get the nut to thread back on to the shaft itself. Making me wonder how I'm gonna get it on after I get the race off.....

Has anyone else had this issue before? Or, do you have any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks for any and all help!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You need to clarify...you say there is not enough space between the race and the nut to get the puller in, but you say you cant get the nut to thread on to the shaft.

Which is it?

Is the nut on the shaft, or is it off?

But either way, the nut is not what the inner race would be up against...it would be up against the main drive gear, and if it is, you will need to cut it off.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If there is not enough room for the puller the race has walked on the shaft.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
prplglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You need to clarify...you say there is not enough space between the race and the nut to get the puller in, but you say you cant get the nut to thread on to the shaft.

Which is it?

Is the nut on the shaft, or is it off?

But either way, the nut is not what the inner race would be up against...it would be up against the main drive gear, and if it is, you will need to cut it off.
The nut itself is still on the shaft. I can't get it to thread back on to the shaft, like you would when installing it. I'm assuming that the shaft itself somehow slid back just a bit, preventing the nu from being threaded on.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 PM
prplglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
If there is not enough room for the puller the race has walked on the shaft.
I started to drill out the nut, figuring I could weaken it up enough to possibly use a small chisel on it to break it.

Would it be easier to cut the inner race, or the nut? They both seem, to me anyway, to be a horse apiece in terms of "ease" of removal.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

I`m confused....you say the nut is not threaded on, why are you talking about drilling out the nut?

The nut has nothing to do with the primary bearing inner race.

You need to post a picture of what you are talking about.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
prplglide
Tourer

OK. Hopefully, this clears it up for you.

The first pic is the nut in question (with screwdriver pointing to it for reference).
Note the drill mark on it. This is the nut that won't slide over the inner race.

The second pic is the gap, or lack thereof, between the nut and the inner race. This is the spot where the puller is supposed to go, but doesn't fit.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Even in the pic you can see that the inside diameter of the nut is larger than the outside diameter of the bearing race...

The nut will fit over that race. Unless there is something stuck inside the nut...like a snapped off end of a main drive gear...

Which way did you turn the nut to loosen it?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
prplglide
Tourer

If I remember correctly (I did this a few months ago), I turned it clockwise. I thought I read, or heard, that the threads on there are left hand.

See this thread for info: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/prima...use-torch.html

Can you see the collar on the inside of the nut? This is what's preventing me from removing the nut itself (at least it seems that way). Is this supposed to a somewhat sung fit? The manual isn't very clear on this. It just says remove nut...

After a brief net search, I've found a replacement nut here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...DWG-Parts.aspx I assume this is the correct one.....
However, there is no collar, of sorts, on this one. Which makes me wonder why it is on mine?

Man, I hope like hell it''s not a snapped of gear.... that would suck!

Last edited by prplglide; 03-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Mrgrumpysdyna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the nut will not help you removed the bearing there is only 0.100-0.125in between the bearing and the end of the main shaft gear. I just did this and had to cut a groove across the bearing with a 4in cutting disc and split the bearing with a chisel, just a word of caution if you go down this route take it easy with the cutting disc and dont cut too deep. Once you have removed the bearing you can deal with replacing the nut.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Remove Trans Shaft Nut