Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

6 speed trans trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
AZwildpig
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed trans trouble

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic with 56,000 miles. I was riding along at 75 MPH. There was no niose or warning. The bike began to slow. The motor was running fine, tried shifting gears, no gears. towed bike to local dealer in Phoenix. They tore into it and told me the main shaft in the tranny was bad. The splines on the end of the shaft were stripped. Bottom line is it will cost me 2 grand for repairs. Is the main shaft an inherit problem with the 6 speeds?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Seen a few post in the last few years on here. There are some small double row of needle bearings that a hunk of medal from a bad shift could easily get in there an lock them up and once they start sliding rather then rolling they fail. Lot of riders put way too thick oil in the transmission thinking they need to protect it but in my opinion may be the wrong thing to do. Also when Harley stuck the extra gear row in I think case is same width as a 5 and gears and bearings are narrow. One reason why you see both straight (stronger) and helical cut gears. The helical are quiter but need extra side thrust protection and there was not enough room. Not sure why it would cost $2000 to replace transmission. Ouch. Just my opinion and not an expert. Just really wanted to sign on to see what turns up

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-07-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
AZwildpig
6th Gear
Default 6 speed trouble

Ripsaw,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the bike serviced according to Harleys schedule. I have run SYN3 from day one. The dealer told me the parts for the repair were 1,000 and then 7 hours labor at $90 per hour, plus tax, total near 2 grand. At one time I would fix it myself but I am well past 60 years old now and can't do as much as I use to.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM
2tall6_11
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZwildpig
Ripsaw,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the bike serviced according to Harleys schedule. I have run SYN3 from day one. The dealer told me the parts for the repair were 1,000 and then 7 hours labor at $90 per hour, plus tax, total near 2 grand. At one time I would fix it myself but I am well past 60 years old now and can't do as much as I use to.
7 HOURS TO REBUILD A TRANNY OUCH!!!!!!!! I am a certified Harley tech and the flat rate for tranny is 4.6 all my tranny rebuilds are flat 250 but im no where near you anymore lol... but state that there own flat rate book which I can load pdf for you is 4.6 that you want to talk to the service manager.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
2tall6_11
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2tall6_11
7 HOURS TO REBUILD A TRANNY OUCH!!!!!!!! I am a certified Harley tech and the flat rate for tranny is 4.6 all my tranny rebuilds are flat 250 but im no where near you anymore lol... but state that there own flat rate book which I can load pdf for you is 4.6 that you want to talk to the service manager.

MODELS Unless otherwise specified, Job Times shown include all

operations necessary to complete the listed job.

Table 5-5. Transmission

ITEM DESCRIPTION

MODELS LABOR

FMW FHW/FTW CODE

TRANSMISSION CASE

Replace transmission case 5.3 5.3 4304

Replace transmission complete 4.9 4.9 4305

Overhaul transmission includes disassembly, cleaning, inspection,

replacing parts (transmission case in

frame), assembly

4.6 4.6 4306

Replace transmission sprocket 2.2 2.2 4309

Replace main drive gear oil seal in transmission case 2.3 2.3 4311

Replace mainshaft oil seal in main drive gear 2.2 2.2 4316

Replace side door gasket 2.8 2.8 4321

Replace shifter drum 0.7 0.7 4331

Replace shifter arm assembly or springs 3.0 3.0 4336

Replace transmission top cover and/or gasket 0.6 0.6 4341

Replace shifter forks and/or shaft 1.8 1.8 4343

Replace side door bearing one 3.0 3.0 4348

both 3.1 3.1 4351

Replace transmission case countershaft bearing 2.9 2.9 4361

Replace main drive gear and/or bearing 3.2 3.2 4366

Replace transmission side cover gasket 0.9 0.9 4368

Replace oil pan and/or gasket or baffle Removal of rear wheel may be necessary 0.9 0.9 4378

Replace oil fill tube and/or cover, and/or gasket 0.4 0.4 4379

Replace transmission shifter shaft seal 2.2 2.2 4390

I can email you the pdf of all flat rate jobs just pm your email I cant post it on here yet cause of the rules

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM
AZwildpig
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply and the information. I will talk to service manager today. If I need any further info on flat rates I will get ahold of you. Being a Harley tech have you seen many trans main shaft problems?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Wildpig, guess that blows my too thick oil theory for flushing those small needle bearings if they are what went. Was it the small double row needle ones that the input shaft rides on or the one the mainshaft rides in? Another thing I have not figured out is how you could tear the spline up on the mainshaft? If it took the spline out does the $1000 of parts include the belt drive pulley? But how bought a real live Harley tech on here that's huge, has a huge gun and a bike named sally. Now here is someone (2 Tall) we can learn something from.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
2tall6_11
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZwildpig
Thanks for the reply and the information. I will talk to service manager today. If I need any further info on flat rates I will get ahold of you. Being a Harley tech have you seen many trans main shaft problems?
in the later touring models it seems to be more lately 10 and up but as Harley says its the rider lol...no its cost cutting plain and simple they are cutting corners and there product and customers are starting to see that. I myself have only rebuilt 5 6 speeds from customers through dealership but I have done several baker change overs at home.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
AZwildpig
6th Gear
Default Trans trouble

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Wildpig, guess that blows my too thick oil theory for flushing those small needle bearings if they are what went. Was it the small double row needle ones that the input shaft rides on or the one the mainshaft rides in? Another thing I have not figured out is how you could tear the spline up on the mainshaft? If it took the spline out does the $1000 of parts include the belt drive pulley? But how bought a real live Harley tech on here that's huge, has a huge gun and a bike named sally. Now here is someone (2 Tall) we can learn something from.
It was the main shaft..I am still puzzled how the splines could be stripped. I am not an agressive rider. I do ride above the AZ speed limits, which are 65 on state roads and 75 on freeways, but I do not tear away from stop lights or do burn outs, no rider abuse at all. The price does not include new belt, which I probably will have done since it is apart.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
AZwildpig
6th Gear
Default tranny problem

Originally Posted by 2tall6_11
in the later touring models it seems to be more lately 10 and up but as Harley says its the rider lol...no its cost cutting plain and simple they are cutting corners and there product and customers are starting to see that. I myself have only rebuilt 5 6 speeds from customers through dealership but I have done several baker change overs at home.
That is what the dealer told me, it was the rider, then oh well it is one of those things that happens. The first thing they wanted to know was if I had an extended warranty. I did have one for 3 years beyond the factory two year for a total of five. But at the end of 5 they would not let me renew it because had to many miles. I have ridden Harleys since 1970, even through the bad times. This is the first major breakdown so I count my blessings. There is no better feeling than to get on the "mistress", feel the wind in my face, and enjoy life. Yes 2 grand is a lot of money but all things considered I will pay it with a smile on my face because as soon as it is paid I am headed to Laughlin, only a thee hour ride from the house..... I just wish I knew what happened, because it was not rider abuse, had to be a defective part. In todays world no one accepts responsibility, I wish they would start.....

Quick Reply: 6 speed trans trouble