Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

choosing right clutch cable for aftermarket bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Rev. Dr. Tom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing right clutch cable for aftermarket bars

I have an 04 Road King that I bought from a guy who had replaced the OE bars. I don't know the brand/model of the bars but they are similar in appearance to the Harley Fat Bar -- 1 1/4" w/ about 35" width, they come back pretty far (about 16" from the centerline of the base). The clutch cable he used always seemed too long: it has a 69" housing, the adjuster is 25" up from the cable end, and there is about 2 1/2" of travel at the lever. When I measured the distance from the side cover to the hand lever bracket (running the cable down the center past the bars), it seems like a 67-68" cable (housing length) would work just fine.

My big question is how to know what the right amount of travel is -- charts show most cables having around 3 1/2" of travel. The cable that the prior owner installed started out with a lot of the adjuster backed out, and since the bike only had 1500 miles on it I know that that wasn't b/c of wear in the clutch or stretch in the cable. I don't want to be buying multiple cable for this, so if anyone can advise me as to how to do it right the first time I would appreciate it.

Also, for whatever it's worth I will be replacing the clutch pack as I have over 50,000 miles on the bike now. As I have not torn that apart yet, however, I don't know how much wear there is on the present discs (which I think would be a factor in cable length).

Thanks.