Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

PC-v or coil??!!...or compensator???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 AM
taterbum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC-v or coil??!!...or compensator???

Hello all, a little help would be appreciated here. I've got an 08 Ultra Classic. Its got stage one download, screaming eagle heavy breather, screaming eaokgle plugs and 10mm wires and a Power Commander V. Lately I've been having some issues that seem to me like maybe my coil is going bad but I'd like a little input from you guys before I put down the cash for a new coil because it occurs to me that the problem could also be the PCv.
Symptoms: When I start the bike after being off overnight it doesn't seem to crank as quickly as I feel like it should but it does crank smoothly, this is the case weather I've had it on trickle charge or not. After I ride it for a short while, very short, less than a mile and basically just long enough for it to warm up, if I turn it off for a short time, say to walk into a store or something, when I attempt to crank it, it is hard to start, sounds like it's backlashing or missing and it takes several attempts to start it. On the other hand, if I turn it off and allow it to cool down again, say for an hour or longer, when I attempt to crank it she starts right up. So, when its at operating temps its hard to crank, when it's cold it starts right up, which is what leads me to believe the coil is going bad. I've got a fairly new (less than 10,000 miles) battery, stator and voltage regulator. Is there a way to check the coil without buying a spark checker or hooking the damn thing to HD breakout box, the service manual says to do that or use another coil you know is good to check it, REALLY? Other than the carbon trail on the coil posts does anyone know of a way to check this? Or if you have a PCv and have had the same issues can you let me know before I lay down the bills for a new coil. I'm seriously considering trashing the PCv for something else.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 AM
taterbum
Cruiser

Also. If its the compensater would it do it each time I tried to start it or only when it's warmed up?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 AM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the comp sprocket on my07 .

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
taterbum
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TVan
Was the comp sprocket on my07 .
Tvan that seems to be what everyone else is saying as well. Was your 07 showing all the symptoms I described in my post? I did a lot of reading and from what I can tell HD has been having problems with this and trying to sweep it under the rug. Guess I'll go ahead and put the upgraded SE compensator on my bike.