Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

rebuilding 5speed trans

Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
meduza800
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding 5speed trans

Maybe someone done this before.. i got few questions here..
1. Counter shaft bearing. The one that sits in case left wall ( primary side). I need to replace it. Do i simply
pat from outside in with right size driver (i will use socket) and then do the same way with new one-use mullet to hammer it in ? I guess also from outside ( from primary side) untill its flush with case wall?
2. To do #1 I will need to remove front drive belt pulley from trans. Is it simple removing locking plate and
unscrewing that big 1-7/8 nut that holds pulley? Also can i replace oli seal on that 5th gear that seats under the pulley using regular seal puller and then right size socket to push new one in place with a mullet?
I got almost everything else done, just waiting fod some ordered parts to fknish work.
All because that counter shaft bearing went bad and messed up shaft itself.
Went to dealer but but they gotta be crazy with their prices so i decided do the job myslef.
Im just hopeing i can do it using standard tools..
any info/input will be highly appreciated..
thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,602 Posts

Your post is kind of confusing...

You say the countershaft bearing is bad, but you ask about removing the pulley nut.

How did you determine the countershaft bearing is bad if you have not removed the pulley nut?

You must have a service manual to do this.

You will need to remove the pulley nut, and also remove the inner primary bearing inner race from the mainshaft in order to remove the gearset from the right side of the transmission.

Not recommended to beat on the main drive gear, because the lip on the inside of the gearbox case that supports the big ball bearing is very thin, and could break.

While the gearset is out, you can remove the old seal by prying it out gently with a screwdriver, and you can install the new seal by pushing it in with a pusher tool made up from a long bolt or threaded rod, and a couple of sockets (you could even use PVC pipe), a large socket against the gear on the inside, and a socket that is just smaller than the ID of the main drive gear, draw the sockets together by torquing the nut and bolt, which will push the seal into the main drive gear.

Also, while the gearset is out, remove the shifter shaft, and replace the two springs on the shifter pawl. Use new snap rings on the shifter pawl, (get extras, trust me...they fly).

You can push the old countershaft bearing out by tapping it out with a socket and mallet, install the same way.

My service manual does not mention this bearing, it drove me nuts...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (05-12-2020)