Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

shifter linkage to Trany on '08 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM
donajo.123
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter linkage to Trany on '08 Road King

The shifter linkage connecting to sprocket exiting trany has slipped off the sprocket. Located between Primary housing and Transmission, it is difficult to get to. Am able to slip it back on, however unable to tighten any more. The cogs do not appear to be worn and have no fluid leakage from trany. I have suspended a box-end wrench between primary housing and linkage to prevent it from slipping off, though that is just temporary fix. Anyone know how I might secure linkage to sprocket? Is there a piece that has been lost that secures this connection? I have noticed no play or slippage when shifting while linkage is in place. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
donajo.123
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved. Replaced the arm of the linkage that interfaced between the main linkage rod and trany spindle. The spines on arm were worn to the point that tightening further was not possible. This problem first appeared a year ago. H-D service department first noticed it and said to repair properly would require removing the primary housing, get into the transmission to replace the spindle, and seal, all at a cost of approx $500. At the time the linkage was not slipping off the spindle as it did recently. I presumed reason was that primary housing was close enough to prevent that from happening - until now. I figured if it could slip off now without removing primary housing, I could slip a new one on, and with a little effort and $30 I did. The Tucson Harley service advisor that first noticed the problem mentioned that H-D has known of this linkage problem for a couple decades but since it typically appears at 30,000 miles or more, they do not consider it their concern. That is past the warranty period and therefore the owners problem. I have had two other problems with my '08 Road King. One was when Harley did the 30K maintenance, changed the fuel filter and did not reinstall fuel lines properly. I was 60 miles out of town when problems with starting began. Second time was when H-D replaced the rear tire and did not properly adjust the belt tension when putting bike back together. I love my Harley, but do not like Harley Davidson. Their parts, service and accessories are expensive, and from my experience the service departments are not qualified to work on the bike. The stores I have had the above mentioned service problems with are in Tucson, Peoria and Colorado Springs. I purchased my bike in Colorado Springs and Harley owners there have echoed similar concerns.