Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

To engine brake or not to engine brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To engine brake or not to engine brake

I have searched through the forums and can't find anything about this. When coming to a stop is it hard on the engine to engine brake or is it better to use only the brakes and shift all the way down to 1st gear? Any thoughts?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as you don't take it over the red line, it's fine. The rev limiter will not stop the engine from going over if you downshift.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

On a fuel injected engine it can save a little gas, on carbed engines not so much but it can cool the engine since with many carbs it will be "running" rich while coasting down. I'm of the opinion that as long as you keep the rpms low, engine wear will be so negligible as to make no difference. When I have cars behind me, I'll often give the front brake a slight pull just to light the brake light to warn them I'm slowing; most American cars for over 20 years have no engine braking in high gear and can roll into you if they aren't paying attention. I also like shifting down so I know I'm in first gear when stopped, and always in a good gear if I have to escape a sudden bad situation; hard to do in 4th or 5th at 20 mph... that alone is all the argument I need for shifting down, especially in traffic; I want that engine in a good gear for the power at all speeds all the time.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default For What It's Worth

For what it's worth, the MSF teaches engine braking and expects their riders to be able to use it. It is a way to keep the bike "controllable" in all situations allowing for a quick takeoff if necessary.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selecting the proper gear and judious use of the clutch can be quite effective as a braking technique. The judious use of the clutch is the key - dropping the clutch with a too low gear selected for a given speed could cause the rear wheel to lock creating an unstable situation.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 2012SuperGlider
I have searched through the forums and can't find anything about this. When coming to a stop is it hard on the engine to engine brake or is it better to use only the brakes and shift all the way down to 1st gear? Any thoughts?
I strongly recommend you find a local MSF or similar course! They will answer all your questions and train you if necessary, so you are better informed and skilled in the right techniques.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How about looking in the owners manual? It tells you in there reccomended down shifting points. That's a good safe place to start with engine breaking speed/rpm.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Engine braking is the only way to properly run a bike. If not you would be spending a lot in brake and clutch components. You need to take some MSF classes.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken a MSF class. I wasn't asking what was safest, I was simply asking if engine braking was hard on the engine. If so, in instances where I need to come down significantly in speed for a red light and there is no one behind me, I want to do what is best for the bike. I would think brake components would be a lot cheaper that repairing engine damage or rebuilding due to wear.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Here is a good thread on engine braking. I usually engine brake. My rear tire wore out in 6500 miles. Since blipping I am getting longer wear. I also stopped practicing panic stops.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/699568-engine-braking-blip-or-no-blip.html

Quick Reply: To engine brake or not to engine brake