Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Hub Bearing failing

Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM
stevequad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Hub Bearing failing

I think it is the clutch hub...
Often when the bike is warmed up, and at a stop light all is quiet, then when I Engage the clutch and start to ease out on the lever I will get a screech and a couple of 'jerks' and lurch, like a novice releasing the clutch. The screech is a bearing spinning, and it sounds like a belt slipping, or the rear tire chirping.
I plan to go in and find out 'zackly' what is wrong, on Monday.
Does anyone think it may be something else?
I was thinin' that if it was the main shaft bearing, it would not lurch cause it is at rest when starting off. The clutch hub is always spinning, and might grab when the bearing starts to bind.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Steve

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Clutch......or compensator sprocket?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,474 Likes on 4,601 Posts

The clutch hub bearing only spins when there is relative movement between the inner clutch hub and the outer clutch shell. The only time this occurs is when the clutch lever is pulled in.

If the bike does not make noise while the transmission is in neutral, with clutch lever released, it is probably not the inner primary bearing. Usually when an inner primary bearing is bad, this is when it will make noise, and it will stop when you drop the trans into gear.

I suggest checking the cheap easy stuff first. Remove the right side cover from the trans and eyeball the throwout bearing (that gasket only costs about a buck).

Remove the outer primary cover and check the compensator nut to be sure it is not loose, and also check the clutch hub retaining nut (it is left hand thread).

If all is good so far, remove the clutch plates/discs and inspect (you will need a clutch spring compressor tool). You could have a spring plate coming apart.

Inspect the hub and outer shell where the discs and plates slide, for any damage, burrs etc, that could cause the plates or discs to hang up.

While the plates are out of the clutch, given the hub a spin (trans in neutral), if you feel any roughness while rotating the hub, you will need to dig deeper.

Remove the compensator nut and clutch hub nut and remove the compensator, primary chain and clutch.

Spin the clutch shell on the hub, this should tell you if the bearing is good. If it feels rough, you have isolated the problem. But give the mainshaft a spin also, just to be sure.

The following users liked this post:
richard567 (07-07-2021)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

Good stuff here Dan. I will check this out. I have pulled the plates out previously, looking for burrs in the basket. They are all good, and the comp nut is tight. I have been in and out of this thing so many times, I should put a zipper on it. I never did check the hub bearing though. That will come tomorrow.
On the transmission side cover, is the throw out bearing the one with the oil slinger on it?

Steve

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,474 Likes on 4,601 Posts

On the transmission side cover, is the throw out bearing the one with the oil slinger on it?
Yes. Take a look at the clutch pushrod also, make sure it is not bent, which could cause it to hang up inside the mainshaft.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

Well, here is where I am...
The throw out bearing is good, the washers are good. I pulled the clutch shell, compensator and chain off, pulled out the clutch plates, and checked the hub bearing. It is good. But...as I was pulling out the clutch plates, I noticed that they were wet on one half only, left to right as you are looking at the plate. Inner and outer (top and bottom).
going to pull the inner primary and check the mainshaft...
Edit..
I think while I am in there, I will change the 32T to a 34T. I have plenty of power to pull off the line, and the extra 2% will help on long rides. Kind of bummed that I did not find anything else.

Last edited by stevequad; 04-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

It was the clutch. Formula+ is not my friend. I put a Barnett extra plate Kevlar clutch pack in. ATF-f fluid. Works better than it ever has before.
I did not do the 34t pulley.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

My bike is doing the same thing since adding the bdl pack and VP. Doesn't do it all the time mostly when moderate take offs.