Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Rat Rod
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!

Okay folks, I have a special construction bike I bought a few years ago that has a Harley Davidson Evo motor and 5 speed tranny. The issue I'm having is once I've shifted into 1st gear the lever continues to move as if there's move gears. No other issues with the tranny, just a bit annoying. While in the local dealer to pick up seals for it I spoke to the service manager about the issue. He told me that it was a spring inside the transmission, a $3 part that took all day to replace.

He told me over to show me what he was talking about from one he was currently working on. Based on the part he showed me looking in my service manual it's one of the springs on the shifter shaft lever/pawl assembly. I check a lot of forums (and I mean A LOT) to see if there was something or someone that has had this same issue. Everything I read concerning these springs are not the same symptoms. I have tension from the spring in neutral push the shifter lever in both directions (with out shifting into gear). The shifter returns back to center after shifting into each gear (up and down).

So long story long could someone enlighten me as to what this issue might be. I'd like to address it while the bike is tore down this far, but don't want to just start tearing things further apart if it's not necessary. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I believe pre 2000 models all did that,if the shifter pawl spring is not broke don't replace it.