Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Another bad compensator?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another bad compensator?

Hello all

My new to me 07 R King (27K miles) sometimes kicks when starting even with the compression release open. I also seem to feel more vibration above 40 MPH and more engine shake at idle. Engine seems to run fine. I was thinking possible tire balance for the vibration but now reading about these compensator problems I'm thinking it might all be related to that.

Opinions?

I will go with the SE compensator if I replace it.

Also the bike has a pretty pronounced "whirring" sound from the primary so I would also inspect/replace the auto tensioner while I'm in there. I suspect the chain is too tight.
What is the correct replacement tensioner I see part 40063-05B and also 39929-06B. which is correct?

Thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the link for good pics and info on the SE compensator install:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html. As for the chain tensioner, I'd replace it with a Hayden M6 tensioner.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 AM
DaSham58
Tourer

I think I will have to do this to my 09 Heritage when the bike gets hot and when I go to start it sounds like the starter is grinding ! it only does it when hot. Where is a good place to get a COMPENSATING SPROCKET I can't find much online .

Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
95custmz
Road Master

40274-08A is the part number for your 09 Heritage. See this link and scroll to bottom of page for year & make/model fitment.:http://www.adventureharley.com/harle...agle-40274-08a

Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
DaSham58
Tourer

Originally Posted by 95custmz
40274-08A is the part number for your 09 Heritage. See this link and scroll to bottom of page for year & make/model fitment.:http://www.adventureharley.com/harle...agle-40274-08a
Cheap aren't they ! Is there a after market one out there ?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM
95custmz
Road Master

No after market ones that I know of. HD has a new and "improved" 40296-06A for $118 but seems no one can keep them in stock. Imagine that.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser

So I tore down the primary to inspect tonight. A bit of fuzz on the drain plug but nothing excessive. First impressions, Man was the primary chain tight! Maybe 3/8 deflection cold. Compensator bolt was tight. no noticeable slop in assembly. Pulled the plugs and rotated engine with rear tire. Once again no noticeable slop or noise. Tried violently jerking rear tire in both directions just to see if I could get compensator to stick or make noise. Nothing...

Removed auto tensioner. Definitely couldn't get a zip tie in there so I removed the bolts and let it fully extend. Some pretty good wear groves in the plastic but far from worn out.

Removed compensator and disassembled to inspect. I would say minimal wear. no obvious signs of cracking, galling, etc. Tried to pull the rotor but it hits primary case.

Pulled the clutch plates to have a look, all good in there. Basket rotates smoothly

Seeing as I could find no ticking time bomb and I had no new parts everything was reassembled with original gaskets and fluid (saved it in a clean container)

Engine started right up with up with no abnormal noise. Remembered to open compression releases for a change. And what do I hear??? Nothing.
The primary wasn't silent but it sure was a lot quieter than before. A quick road test around the block a few times and primary noise is acceptable to me. At least 50% quieter AND I can find neutral every time!

Conclusion:

Not really sure. I think I will crack the case again very soon and replace the auto tensioner (Updated stock part probably) but not sure about the compensator. Other than all the bad luck everyone has had here I can't find a reason to change it just yet.

Could all my symptoms have been caused by an over tightened primary chain?

Previous owner maybe drove it hard and it over tightened?

Replace compensator with SE version just for some (cheap?) insurance?

All thought welcome.

I plan to ride it the rest of the week and see if it behaves.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grinding on startup was likely the starter clutch. It is an easy repair and will set you back about $200.

Whether the SE Comp fixed the problem or not it was still a good upgrade. When the six speeds were broadly introduced in 2007 an aesthetic problem immediately became noticeable with the transmissions, specifically 5th gear. The problem was due to the design of the gear (spur) and the energy transfer back through the transmission from the rear pulley resulting in the stock comp unloading. Some described the noise as a whine and some a ball peen concerto! Whatever, it caused a huge flap. The fix, vice cush drive, was the SE Comp.

Using the tie wrap makes removing/replacing the tensioner waaaay easier and protects the threads on the securing bolts.

Last edited by Assegai; 05-22-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by 2-Piece
So I tore down the primary to inspect tonight. A bit of fuzz on the drain plug but nothing excessive. First impressions, Man was the primary chain tight! Maybe 3/8 deflection cold. Compensator bolt was tight. no noticeable slop in assembly. Pulled the plugs and rotated engine with rear tire. Once again no noticeable slop or noise. Tried violently jerking rear tire in both directions just to see if I could get compensator to stick or make noise. Nothing...

Removed auto tensioner. Definitely couldn't get a zip tie in there so I removed the bolts and let it fully extend. Some pretty good wear groves in the plastic but far from worn out.

Removed compensator and disassembled to inspect. I would say minimal wear. no obvious signs of cracking, galling, etc. Tried to pull the rotor but it hits primary case.

Pulled the clutch plates to have a look, all good in there. Basket rotates smoothly

Seeing as I could find no ticking time bomb and I had no new parts everything was reassembled with original gaskets and fluid (saved it in a clean container)

Engine started right up with up with no abnormal noise. Remembered to open compression releases for a change. And what do I hear??? Nothing.
The primary wasn't silent but it sure was a lot quieter than before. A quick road test around the block a few times and primary noise is acceptable to me. At least 50% quieter AND I can find neutral every time!

Conclusion:

Not really sure. I think I will crack the case again very soon and replace the auto tensioner (Updated stock part probably) but not sure about the compensator. Other than all the bad luck everyone has had here I can't find a reason to change it just yet.

Could all my symptoms have been caused by an over tightened primary chain?

Previous owner maybe drove it hard and it over tightened?

Replace compensator with SE version just for some (cheap?) insurance?

All thought welcome.

I plan to ride it the rest of the week and see if it behaves.
To answer your question, yes an over tightened chain can cause all kinds of issues. The issues with the 07 and up bikes that we hear all the time are compensators, inner primary bearings, main drive gear bearings and main transmission case bearing. All these issues can be traced to an over tightened primary chain. The automatic chain tensioner can automatically tighten the chain but it does not automatically loosen.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser

Just to clarify, I didn't replace any parts. Original compensator and tensioner went back in. Anyone have any experience with the updated HD tensioner part? From the pictues I've seen it looks like it has less and finer teeth on the ratchet assy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another bad compensator?