Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

time to install baker dd7 transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 PM
MooMee Burgers
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to install baker dd7 transmission...

I wanted to install a Baker DD7 on my 2008 Dyna SE. I decided to give the dealership a call and they quoted me 6.5 hours labor to install, ~$585 labor. They wanted to bang me 3K for the tranny so i bought it myself for $2300 and decided to do it myself. I have worked on my other bikes before this one so no stranger to turning a wrench. Business was picking up too much to get time to do it so i decided to seek an indy that is a 30 yr veteran mechanic, very cool dude. I never talked an hourly rate because his website said that he charged half of what the dealer does and treats the bikes like their is own, which i liked and figured i wouldn't get hurt. He's a big thundermax fan and I decided to have him do this too. So a month later, which wasn't so bad because the weather has been horrible, he calls me and tells me the bike is ready and the bill is $1855. Keep in mind i purchased the transmission and thundermax before install so this was his labor charge. This seems to be a super high price for what was done. Am I crazy or did i get completley ripped off? I have no problem paying a fair price for the work done but taking advantage of me being a cool customer has me a little pissed off. Any input appreciated.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
FLSTCI124"
6th Gear

Not really sure what the standard hourly rate is as I do all my own work if possible.

But when I have to go to an outside source I always ask for an estimate on cost and how long it will take them to complete.

Would love to have a DD7 though!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Sorry to say but you brought this unfortunate experience on your self. You over paid and without the aforementioned estimate, you are in a pretty weak position to argue the price. Should have done it your self; it's a Saturday job. You could ask for a breakdown of the price but, like I said, you are in a pretty weak position to negotiate; should have done that before letting him have work on your bike.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Lesson learned. Two years ago did same with indy install of tires. Now I ask price.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are all the dealer haters on this thread? I see post thst constantly say INDY guys are ALWAYS BETTER than the local service department.

OP: Did you ask your dealership service department if they would install an after market product you didn't purchase through them? I have have done this in the past with no issue. Many places only install parts purchased through them. Doesn't hurt to ask. It also won't hurt to ask the INDY to justify being over three time the dealer cost, when he advertised for half.

NEXT TIME DON'T LISTEN TO A "HERD" OF DEALER HATERS ON A FORUM.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

I hate dealers and indy's as you guys call them. Indy's can rip you just like a dealer can. And if you read he was half the price, then hold him to it.
It's nice to have mods or upgrades to your bikes. I guess its fun to brag or go wrap the throttle and feel some power etc. But I have noticed that there are lot's of people who once they try to change something on their bike end up on here looking for help. Always do lot's of reading and research. Find someone who has the mod done to the same model you have and ask lot's of questions.
If I had found that indy you used, I would have first found some people who have used him and find out a little about him first. Then get in writing how much he charges for what you need. There are part's changer's and there are trouble shooters.
Oh, and like CarFAx, stay away from the BBB for rating's. If no one contacts them they could have unhappy customers and still have a A+ rating.
Buyer and consumer beware!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1800 bucks for 6.5 hours of work? That works out to about $300/hr. I sure hope there is a silver lining (workmanship) in this but one thing is for sure, that guy is not honest.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

You guys actually believe this 'story'?

(I didn't from the get go...) 3 posts

Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
You guys actually believe this 'story'?

(I didn't from the get go...) 3 posts
LOL yeah it IS the internet.

On the other hand I've heard far worse that were true and I'm sure you have as well.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Assegai
LOL yeah it IS the internet.

On the other hand I've heard far worse that were true and I'm sure you have as well.
Well yes, but I can't picture the scenario where the reason you're going to the Indy is because you heard that he was half price and then not bringing that fact up in the initial conversation.

And usually the screw jobs that I've heard of tend to be mistakes that keep piling on top of mistakes when the job isn't done correctly and the customer keeps paying for them. Not from an up front quote typically ( that apparently didn't happen this time? yeah, right!).

Quick Reply: time to install baker dd7 transmission...