Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Noises from the primary

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM
arighi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises from the primary

Ok, so I am new this forum and I have an 07 softail standard. I got this bike a couple months back and have changed all of the fluids. The bike runs great, but I have some questions about the noisy primary. I have changed the fluids in the primary twice. the first time I put synthetic 20w50 and it was still loud, so I decided to try Redline Shockproof. I think it is slightly quieter, but still pretty loud, especially after the bike warms up.

So, the primary kind of sounds like a sewing machine when it is still warming up, but then it gets progressively louder when it is warmed up. sometimes, the sounds is pretty pronounced when I am coming to a stop and downshifting. I have also noticed that it is a little louder in 3rd than 4th, not sure if that means anything. On top of that, if I really get on the throttle I get a kind of high pitched noise from the primary have no idea why that is?

I am not sure if I am overreacting to the sounds or if I am noticing something that may be failing? As I stated, the bike runs just fine, but I am not certain what to about what I am hearing.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From 07 and up, there has been talk of inferior compensators installed. There has even been a service bulletin issued for the problem but no recalls. Check out this link for a Screamin Eagle part upgrade:http://www.ehow.com/how_8037208_diag...mpensator.html

Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 07's had a notoriously noisy transmission - that was normal. Some described it as a whine, that was BS. It was mechanical noise largely due to an underdesigned compensator unloading due to energy reflection from the rear pulley through the tranny.

Anyway, MoCo denied the problem and aftermarket came up with several bandaid efforts centered around the compensator. It is possible that your bike had some work done in there. On the other hand the noise could be normal valve train. Nice to know the mechanical repair history on your bike - any chance of contacting the previous owner - if so, do it!

If you do open your primary up it might be a good idea if it is IS fitted with the stock unit to replace it with a SE.

Baker has a lot of gen on this.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be as easy as adjusting the primary chain, which is an every 5K check and adjustment.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You have a ton of reading to do. Go to the search feature type in 07 compensator, automatic primary tensioner and inner primary bearing failure. These key words will get you started. Then you can tear apart the primary and have a look and have some kind of idea what you are looking for. If you need to message me feel free.