Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

6th gear hwy trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
PAULB43
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6th gear hwy trouble

Hey guys . I'm a new rider - got a '07 Softail Standard .The bike is stock , except for a set of V&H Straightshots . 'I've been riding around town and have hit some main roads where I've only got up to around 50 MPH or so . This evening , I finally got out on the parkway . I was doing about 60 - maybe a little less , and was in 6th gear . I came up on a slow car in front of me and went around to pass , the bike didn't seem to be "struggling" in 6th at that point , so I just started to roll on the throttle and go . I didn't downshift ( maybe my first mistake ) and when started to accelerate the bike started to just lose speed and seem to bog down . I down shifted and tried rolling on the gas again , and still the bike just lost speed ,and seem as if it was going to stall . Atfter a few seconds cars are starting to come up behind me and I 'm down to what had to be about 20 MPH . I kept pulling in the clutch and trying to give it gas and nothing - just sounded as if it was losing power . All of a sudden , I tried rolling on the gas , and suddenly it came to life,I rode it for 15 min. or so and it was ok the rest of the way home .Could I have flooded it with fuel while in 6th , because of not downshifting ? or maybe something else ?? Scary situation while on the parkway ! I hope it was me and not the bike .... Any input will be much appreciated - thanks .

Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the fuel induction module ever been removed? The ECM gates the injectors based on inputs from several sensors: manifold air pressure, crank position sensor, throttle position sensor. Look for loose connectors.

Fuel filter?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

6th gear is not for passing @55 to 60mph.

I will take a stab and say the motor prolly sensed a spark knock so bad from being lugged the ecm went into panic mode and retarded the timing as well as a bunch of other stuff.

If you gotta get on the gas hard while slow, 6th is not your gear

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
PAULB43
3rd Gear

No , never removed the module . Bike has 7,200 miles on it and was supposedly serviced this past November from the dealer I bought it from ( Harley dealer ). Something I can do myself ????

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM
PAULB43
3rd Gear

Yeah , what you said sounds logical - I know I probably shouldn't have been in sixth , and definitely should have downshifted before trying to go - just my lack of highway experience .......

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You should not need 6th gear until at least 70.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the hell of it I'd check for fault codes.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
6th gear is not for passing @55 to 60mph.

I will take a stab and say the motor prolly sensed a spark knock so bad from being lugged the ecm went into panic mode and retarded the timing as well as a bunch of other stuff.

If you gotta get on the gas hard while slow, 6th is not your gear
I like this as a possible. If I'm not at 2500 rpms or more I down shift no matter what gear. That seems to be the get up and go range.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
PAULB43
3rd Gear
Default Codes

I ran a diagnostics check , and got "none" on all of the segments , and then that "no rsp" code

Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 AM
PAULB43
3rd Gear

Rode this morning . went to the gas station , and put 93 in it - there was only 87 oct. before - rode around and got it warm , then went out on the parkway cruising , getting on it a little, shifting up and down , put it in 6th , came up on a couple of cars , downshifted to 5th and went - no problems .

Keeping my fingers crossed ...........

Quick Reply: 6th gear hwy trouble