Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Goodyear BDL Falcon belt failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM
TFPops
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear BDL Falcon belt failures

2007 softail with stage 1, pipes, PC3. Nov '11 put on a 30t front sprocket and new 132t BDL belt. Ran fine, No wear, easy adjustments, maintained correct tension. Alignment was about as perfect as my straight edge could get it.

Feb '13 the Goodyear BDL Falcon belt snapped in two. Replaced it. May 25th '13 doing 75mph in wide open west Texas the belt shredded to the point that it simply slipped over the front sprocket at any speed. Moved the axle adjusters fully back and the belt simply stretched. IT DID NOT BREAK. The teeth are perfect. No wear, no breaks, no chips, no cracks, no nothing. The backing simply came apart permitting the belt to stretch. It looks like fuzzy black hair on three sections of the belt, one about 3" long, next about 5" and the largest shredded section is about 10" in length.

I get no help from anyone. Goodyear brands this belt to a co. named Veyance Tech. They claim to make it to GY specs but then I find VC claims the belts are made by Belt Drives Limited. The BDL in the name.

I cant get anyone at GY, VT, or BDL to even consider looking at the shredded belt.

Of course everyone will point toward the obvious like installation, alignment, spacing, tension, sprocket wear, etc etc etc. I cant find anything that would cause a carbon fiber belt backing to shred at 75mph.

Im beyond any refund or warranty (no warranty on belts). I am however more than a bit upset no one at the three companies is interested in putting the belt in front of QC engineers.

Ideas or experiences appreciated.