Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd won't go

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
lost_roadking
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting from 2nd to 3rd won't go

I have a 2000 flhrci with a 95CI build in it. When I get on it for lets just say getting onto the highway, when I shift from 1st to second, there's no problem, but when I shift from 2nd to 3 third, it misses every time so I have to get off the gas, then she goes in. I have no problem with it during normal riding, only when I'm jumpin on her a bit. Any suggestions?? Any similar situations out there??

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Do the cheap easy things first.

Check the linkage to make sure it operates freely without any binding.

Check the shift lever at the transmission, make sure it is tight to the shaft and not slipping on the splines.

Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.

If all checks out ok, you will need to remove the top cover from the transmission and check the adjustment of the shifter pawl (easy). Do you have the service manual?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

Thanks Dan,
Yep, linkage is good, shift lever at the transmission is good and tight, actually, I currently have the primary off due to what I THOUGHT was a mainshaft seal leak. But that's a WWHHHOOOLLLEEEE different story. I will check the shifter prawl and yes I do have a well used, beat up, pages falling out service manual. LOL I will post what I find. Thanks again

Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lost_roadking
Thanks Dan,
I currently have the primary off due to what I THOUGHT was a mainshaft seal leak. But that's a WWHHHOOOLLLEEEE different story.
Tell us the story about the leak.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

Started having the usual leak under the primary after riding a ways. like most, changed the primary drain plug and gasket. looked like it was coming from the inner primary, so with research here, figured it to be a mainshaft seal. pulled the primary and found that the pins holding the lock plate for the sprocket nut had sheared off in the sprocket and it was just lying on the shaft. Also, apparently there was no locktite on the threads of the nut so it too had spun loose and just laying on the shaft leaving the sprocket to react to force anyway it seemed fit!! What a mess, so putting in a new sprocket, changing the primary bearing to a Baker high torque, (no race then) shifter shaft, new Jims spacer (just looked chewed up), starter shaft seal, and of course mainshaft seal and still trying to get that dang 5th gear seal out. Tried everything. After working it and hacking it up, a friend told me (afterwards of course) that he takes compressed air into the tranny vent and it blows right out. (Not sure about that one) so, long story short, since I have the primary off, I was thinking about the shifting problem as well since she's down.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Check the splines on the gear carefully, if there is any damage or excess wear, it will allow the pulley to move back and forth and that will cause the nut to back off.

Have you replaced the seal that goes in the end of the drive gear, that seals the space between the drive gear and the mainshaft?

Attached Thumbnails Shifting from 2nd to 3rd won't go-img_0883-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-22-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

I have checked the splines and they appear ok, and yes, that seal is the little pain in the a..... I'm trying to get out now. That's the "5th gear seal"

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
lost_roadking
Novice

Finally got the that dang seal out. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Shifting from 2nd to 3rd won't go-wp_000470.jpg