Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help With Clutch Issues Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Velocity1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help With Clutch Issues Needed

5 surgeries and going on 2 years later, I took the bike out tonight for what I thought would be a brief ride. Haven't ridden in almost 2 years while the bike sat in the shop with the primary dry as I completely freshened it up.

New clutch hub bearing, new HD Regina primary chain, all new seals, primary bearing, compensater, etc. The only thing I didn't disassemble was the clutch pack itself as I figured there was relatively few miles on the Barnett extra disc. assy. and there shouldn't be a need to take it apart.

After fiddling with it, allowing the new primary fluid to re-wet the clutch discs by cycling the clutch in and out in neutral, I dropped it in gear with the clutch pulled in and it stalled the motor. More fiddling after about 20 minutes and it seemed to improve. Still some drag in gear with the clutch pulled in but i got it going and rode it about 3 miles.

In any gear, if I roll on the throttle, the motor R's up and clearly the clutch is slipping. Get it back home in the driveway, pull the clutch in in 1st gear and the bike pulled itself right around back to the garage door in first gear with the clutch pulled in, (clearly not disengaging).

Any ideas where I should look first?? Never had one not want to disengage completely and slip too. Primary fluid is HD OEM dino oil like I've always used since I installed the Barnett.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Make sure the retaining ring for the release plate is seated in the groove properly. Had it happen once.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

Mark,

I understand how this can happen. I watched the clutch function while pulling the clutch lever and it all looked good before I buttoned it up. I didn't re-adjust the clutch and/or cable when I reassembled the primary, shame on me. When it went back together, the adjuster plate, screw and snap ring went right back together like it came apart. During the primary overhaul, like I said, I did everything BUT disassemble the clutch pack, even when I changed the clutch hub bearing.

The one thing I'm struggling with is how the clutch won't disengage and stalls the motor when taking off, but once I get it rolling it is hard to shift and if I roll on the throttle the motor R's up, (clutch is slipping). This only happened a few times over a total ride distance of 3.5 miles. As soon as I realized what was going on I shut it down and put it away.

Prior to freshening up the primary as I described in my first post, I had never had a problem even remotely like this with this clutch. Baffled.....

Possible I have frictions and steels sticking / binding in the basket?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a hell of a time with the Barnett Extra Disk Carbon fiber kit my self.

I installed the SE Race clutch/hub kit and the Barnett Extra Disk kit. I have not been able to get this clutch to stop "creeping".

I have adjusted it per Barnett's recommendations by back it out only 1/4 turn and still will not completely disengage.
The only way to put the bike in neutral is to shut off the bike.

I have tried HD Syn 3 fluid, redline fluid, and B&M Trick Shift, all with the same results.

So I dropped it off at the dealer this afternoon. Told them to either make the Barnett clutch work right or install the SE Clutch pack in it.

I will know something by mid next week.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the Extra Disc. Mine has worked flawlessly from day one. (I have the carbon fiber one), have never run any other lube but HD Primary and trans oil as Barnett recommended at the time, (4 or 5 years ago).

Mark, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I pulled the derby cover! You nailed it! The snap ring, half of it was still in the groove and the other half had broken and fallen to the bottom of the primary.

Anyhow, the frictions are toast, the steels are salvageable only slightly discolored and flat as checked on my surface plate. I've emailed Barnett with the hope that they'll sell me just the friction plate set so I don't have to buy the whole clutch pack kit.

This happened over 3.5 miles at low speed. Amazing how bad the frictions flaked and turned black.

The good news is I'm going to be able to ride when I get it back together. Waiting patiently for parts, time to reassemble it and finally the thrill of the wind in my face again!

As always, thanks for your helpful feedback. It's appreciated!
V1