Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch adjustment?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Karnevil
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post clutch adjustment?

Can it be done? What i want to do is make the friction zone closer to the grip not out at the end of the travel of the lever. i hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The correct adjustment of the clutch involves both the cable and the centre of the clutch pressure plate. It may be possible to play those two off against each other to achieve what you want. My own bike is older than yours and I am not sure they have the same procedure.

If you have a hydraulic clutch ignore that! In any event you can either talk to a local dealer, or if you want to have a tinker get yourself a factory service manual. You only need basic tools. Or you may be lucky and a member calls by here and posts specific instructions!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM
x51chief
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first hd ultra classic a couple of weeks ago starting it while its in gear causes it to lung a little is this normal

Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Jbarr
Advanced

It is normal for my bike. Take it out of gear.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There are two circumstances I can think of:

1. If you are doing that from cold it is a bit unkind. While operating the starter the primary drive is rotated, in order to turn the crankshaft and hence fire up the engine. Normal use of a Harley then involves engaging first gear, which is routinely accompanied with a clunk, because that is the first time the clutch has been disengaged since the engine was last ridden. The starter is not as well suited to perform that job as the engine is, once it has started.

2. If on the other hand you are restarting the bike, say in traffic, then the clutch is dragging a little and needs adjustment.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Herrfasching
Can it be done? What i want to do is make the friction zone closer to the grip not out at the end of the travel of the lever. i hope that makes sense. Thanks.
Set the clutch properly at the clutch drum 1/2-3/4 turn out free play when cold. Be darn sure you start at zero clearance by turn it past no play and back pulling lever till you can tell just when it removes all play and then back from there. Then set the cable play at a minimum of 1/32. Be sure you have this at both lock position on the bars. Sometime you need just a little more to get it at 1/32" on the tight side of lock. The key is having the clutch set correctly at the drum to prevent clutch slipping and or spinning throwout bearing all the time but to get it up close require the cable freeplay as mentioned.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
x51chief
6th Gear

I just wondering if I needed to adjust the clutch

Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
x51chief
6th Gear

After I found this forum I have found the answers to a lot of questions most of them before they where even questions thank ya for your answers

Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by x51chief
I just bought my first hd ultra classic a couple of weeks ago starting it while its in gear causes it to lung a little is this normal
Originally Posted by x51chief
I just wondering if I needed to adjust the clutch
Not sure if you got the answer you wanted.
clutch adjustment AND type and quantity of oil in the primary cause that lunge. I would not call the lung normal since I can make it go away.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
x51chief
6th Gear

I am doing my 1000 mile oil change tomorrow I am going back with h d oil I was thinking about a different brand just not sure what it would do to the warranty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch adjustment?