Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

down shift issues

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default down shift issues

13 SG, recently just every once in a while when I go from 3rd to 2nd and 1st. It is like there is nothing there. Does not shift and lever is free. I do the heel shift and when I shift back up then I can go back down. Happens when I am slowing to stop. Other wise no problems. Ideas? This wouldn't be a clutch adj issue?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's possible you have a problem in the selector mechanism, not resetting correctly after a gear change. If you still have warranty on it I suggest talking to your dealer.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you shifting?
Are you down shifting a pull in clutch, down shift, release clutch, pull in clutch, downshift release clutch?

Or are you pull in clutch, slow to a stop or near stopped then try and click thru the gears to first all at one time?

If you are stopping and then click down thru all the gears, it will get hung up most of the time.

If this is what you are doing, you need to learn to properly downshift a motorcycle.

If you are doing it correctly, I have no idea without seeing exactly what is going on.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer

That is what I was doing. I usually wait a bit though between shifts. Never had a problem before. So, down shift and let out the clutch between each shifts and won't have issues? Does doing what I do hurt things or just does what I have experienced? I appreciate your input.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
It's possible you have a problem in the selector mechanism, not resetting correctly after a gear change. If you still have warranty on it I suggest talking to your dealer.
Is under warranty. See the thread below, what do you think? Would there be codes in if it was the selector mechanism?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I started riding bikes early, but only turned to cars late and took driving lessons. The instructor told me I was changing gear the wrong way for a car, but would leave me to it, unless I got into difficulties. He said the 'correct' way to drive a car with manual trans is to stay in gear and stop, before selecting the right gear for driving away again.

On a bike that is not very practical and having ridden bikes for many years before cars I have always changed gear downwards, as part of the slowing down process. There will obviously be occasions when that isn't feasible, but it should be the norm IMHO. I still drive a car like a bike (MG with five speed Mustang V8!).

I doubt if there will be codes, but may be wrong! Certainly if you are stopping in a high gear, then finding first or neutral will be a challenge, to say the least! It is well worth taking a ride to see if altering your gear-change style solves the problem.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This suggestion might sound simplistic but is the external shift linkage loose, are the shafts slipping on the splines? If not then I'd almost a problem with the shifter pawl, detent or shift forks.

If ur ride is under warranty run don't walk back to the dealer tout suite and the tout'r the sweeter!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as you are still rolling when you try to downshift the tranny should shift. I read somewhere there are limits to this though, somwething like don't shift to 4th above 40, don't shift to 3rd above 30, don't shift to 2nd above 20, and don't shift to 1st above 10 MPH.

Assuming you are following this, you may simply have an shift rod adjustment issue with your shift linkage. If you recently added a custom shift linkage it ma simply need adjusted. Place Motorcycle in 1st, remove shift linkage from top of the upright arm at the inside front of the primary case, pull upright arm and shift linkage forward to the shifter mechanism stop, and rotate the forward shift arm forward. If the foot shift arm bottoms out before it aligns with shift libnkage the linkage needs adjusted. If it is close it needs adjusted. Your engine tranny and primary are floating in the frame, the floorboard mounted rigid to the frame, there may be times when the engine is settled low in the frame and the shifter is bottoming out on something prohibiting full stroke of the shift linkage. If you recently added a custom shift linkage it ma simply need adjusted.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If the mainshaft and maindrive gear are not spinning when you are attempting to shift it will shift like crap if you find yourself at a stop sign in third gear rock the bike back and forth that will help the shift drum turn and the forks fall into place.