Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch adjustment questions...!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Lang47
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch adjustment questions...!!!!

okay I told you guys id be asking a ton of questions, so here it goes. so I tried adjusting the clutch on my 93 heritage softail. the book says turn in the screw, then turn it out 1/2 turn. but it doesn't say how much turn it in. so I thought at some point it would stop turning. but guess what it doesn't, and the thing exploded and took off the edges of a couple of the teeth on the clutch hub. so my questions are how much do you in fact turn it in, and can I still use it with broken teeth. the teeth didn't break off just the edges, and only two of them. thanks sorry this is so long.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

What "book" are you using?

The factory service manual says to loosen the clutch cable adjuster all the way, then turn the adjuster screw on the clutch in the clockwise direction to remove all pushrod free play, then back out 1/2-3/4 turns.

What do you mean it exploded?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Lang47
3rd Gear

that's the book. when It says turn in the screw to take the paly out how do you know when its turned it enough. and by exploded I mean the clip and retainer ring shot of and the spring play flew out taking off the edges of a couple of teeth on the clutch hub.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Have you read the sticky right in this forum about clutch adjustment?

Here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/trans...-easy-way.html

Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Lang47
3rd Gear

nice! that's awesome, thank you. that's exactly what I needed. now I just hope I don't have to replace the clutch hub. thanks again.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
mpdsal
1st Gear

Dan,

Where abouts in CT do you live? Grew up there and just moved to IL two years ago.

At any rate, if I could chime in about the clutch issues I am experiencing.

I have a 97 RoadKing with only 29K miles on it. I was having trouble getting into neutral when riding that I decided to do a clutch adjustment, following the service manual technique and what's posted in this forum. Here's the situation I am experiencing after the adjustment:

I noticed when riding that the clutch is tighter in some gears and loose in others. Is this common? I left a little more than a dime width of play after adjusting, in first gear. But after riding for a bit there is no slack or play when I am in first gear. Is this common?

There are times when shifting is easy and appears normal and then there are times when I can't shift or have to really push down to shift. All this when the engine is hot and I am riding. Even downshifting sometimes can be hard. Why is that? Will this model not shift to a higher gear if the rpm's or speed are not high enough? Just checking.

Also, when the manual says to squeeze the clutch several times after the nut adjustment; how is this possible if the cable adjuster is so loose that the clutch lever is resting against the grip?

Sorry for all the questions but I am hoping to resolve this without taking it in.

Thanks

Mark