Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

help with noiseproblem

Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
AllenG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with noiseproblem

Hello all, new to the forum, fairly new to HD's. In the 1.5 years I have been riding, this site has been very helpful, thanks to all.

Mine is a 2002 Road King, 48K miles. I aquired at 33K, about 6 months ago. Never had a problem, kept up required oil changes. I have always used synthetic, and I was told previous owner did as well. Recently it started making a new noise. When I decelerate, say I am going 70 mph, I downshift. When I get to third, second, and first, I rev up engine, shift, and I can count to three and I will hear a sound like a chain being swirled around the bottom of a bucket. if I keep driving in that gear, at that speed, it will continue to make the sound. Then I rev up again, don't hear the osund, shift down again, I can count to three, and the sound returns. It is not immediate, but takes about two and a half seconds for the noise to start. If I come to a complete stop, I don't hear the noise, and I don't hear it whan I start back up and accelerate. I don't hear anything just driving aound at high speeds. I can't really tell where it is coming from, just sounds like under the tank. Can't tell if on one side more than the other.

I started researching, thought it might be cam chain tensioners, but I inspected those this weekend and they look great. I did some more research and one guy had what sounded similar, and it turned out to be a bearing in the tranny, and he had to have a complete tranny rebuild. But I don't know if the had the delay in the sound like I do. The sound is not terribly loud. And the bike seems to perform just fine. I just don't want to keep riding it if I am tearing something up. Any ideas? Posting in Touring forum as well. Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenG
Hello all, new to the forum, fairly new to HD's. In the 1.5 years I have been riding, this site has been very helpful, thanks to all.

Mine is a 2002 Road King, 48K miles. I aquired at 33K, about 6 months ago. Never had a problem, kept up required oil changes. I have always used synthetic, and I was told previous owner did as well. Recently it started making a new noise. When I decelerate, say I am going 70 mph, I downshift. When I get to third, second, and first, I rev up engine, shift, and I can count to three and I will hear a sound like a chain being swirled around the bottom of a bucket. if I keep driving in that gear, at that speed, it will continue to make the sound. Then I rev up again, don't hear the osund, shift down again, I can count to three, and the sound returns. It is not immediate, but takes about two and a half seconds for the noise to start. If I come to a complete stop, I don't hear the noise, and I don't hear it whan I start back up and accelerate. I don't hear anything just driving aound at high speeds. I can't really tell where it is coming from, just sounds like under the tank. Can't tell if on one side more than the other.

I started researching, thought it might be cam chain tensioners, but I inspected those this weekend and they look great. I did some more research and one guy had what sounded similar, and it turned out to be a bearing in the tranny, and he had to have a complete tranny rebuild. But I don't know if the had the delay in the sound like I do. The sound is not terribly loud. And the bike seems to perform just fine. I just don't want to keep riding it if I am tearing something up. Any ideas? Posting in Touring forum as well. Thanks
Check your primary chain...sounds like it might be loose.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
AllenG
6th Gear
Default chain ok

thanks, checked the chain, right at 1/2 inch, so i think its ok. thanks for the suggestion

Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Inner primary bearing? How's the primary chain tensioner shoe look?

Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM
AllenG
6th Gear
Default bearing

tensioner looks fine. inner primary bearing may be the one. Behind the clutch basket? I'll search the forum to see what is involved in getting it out. Thanks

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Noises on Harleys are like crickets in a patch of tall grass, you know they are there somewhere you just can't find them. Get the rear tire in the air and have a friend help you recreate the conditions that brings on the noise. That way you can have one guy on the throttle shifting and the other on the ground listening.