Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Lotta new sounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM
BlueLine126
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotta new sounds

Just picked up a FLHPI wit 800 miles on it . Haven't rode 6 speeds before nor police units and couldn't help notice a deep whirring sound coming from either the primary area or rear sprocket. The bike is smooth but the noise is constant and is in synch with the bikes speed. Additionally I noticed the primary is very hot to the touch. I've never noticed this before in touring bikes because my leg never rested against the primary while putting my feet down during a stop but it does on the working bike. Have had Older Electra glides and all the fairings and trim have shielded me from sounds and heat. All the fluids are to capacity. Being a used working bike has made me a little paranoid but I was hoping the officer couldn't have done too much damage in 800 miles before I got it. The bike has 3 more weeks factory warranty on it. If the sound and heat are signaling a problem I need to move fast. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Do some searches on inner primary bearing failures, automatic chain tensioners (they over tighten the chain) and compensating sprocket failures. Using these three terms in the search feature will get you a ton of reading and info.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
BlueLine126
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read a lot

From the reference reading I'm assuming the 2012 FLHPI already has an automatic chain tensioner from the factory. Evidently it possible that it could make the tension too tight or is the sound I'm hearing the normal sound of the chain over the tensioner, or could the sound be from the newness of a bike that only has 900 miles on it and not really broken in yet? From what you referenced me to read its about 50/50 on a chain tensioner. Since mine may be original equipment my remaining warranty should cover it hopefully if that's the problem.

Last edited by BlueLine126; 10-01-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLine126
From the reference reading I'm assuming the 2012 FLHPI already has an automatic chain tensioner from the factory. Evidently it possible that it could make the tension too tight or is the sound I'm hearing the normal sound of the chain over the tensioner, or could the sound be from the newness of a bike that only has 900 miles on it and not really broken in yet? From what you referenced me to read its about 50/50 on a chain tensioner. Since mine may be original equipment my remaining warranty should cover it hopefully if that's the problem.
If the chain gets too tight it can take out bearings, usually the inner primary bearing is the first to go, but we've seen clutch bearings main drive gear bearings and bent or busted shafts. The tensioner is not faulty per say just a (imho) just a bad design.