Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2014 Primary Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 Primary Noise?

Howdy, I was wondering if anyone else with a 2014 model thinks their primary is noisy? My FLHXS has a pretty significant chatter at certain rpms. Can even hear it over Rineharts barking away. I am guessing it must be something with the compensator. Probably ok but it just seems loud to me from my past experiences with Harleys. Currently running Formula plus in the primary. Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Clutch nut or compensator bolt not torqued properly at factory. .auto chain tensioner needs to ratchet up some. Have heard new bikes need a break in period for the tensioner to get the slack out.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by mattVA
Clutch nut or compensator bolt not torqued properly at factory. .auto chain tensioner needs to ratchet up some. Have heard new bikes need a break in period for the tensioner to get the slack out.
I could believe that the chain tensioner needs to get some slack out because on occasion at idle I can hear a spordaic "slap" coming from the primary. It's obviously the chain slapping around. So do you think this will adjust on it's own or should I look to address something?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

They are designed to adjust on their own and sometimes they do so to a fault. Guessing will get you no where though. Pull the cover and have a look or have your dealer do it.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
They are designed to adjust on their own and sometimes they do so to a fault. Guessing will get you no where though. Pull the cover and have a look or have your dealer do it.
Will do, thank you sir.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

What Mark said is sadly true. My '09 with 20k is apart now. The 'auto' tensioner had ratcheted the chain to 3/8" free play cold, without even searching for the tightest spot on the chain. They should be at 5/8"-7/8".

Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

What Mark said is sadly true. My '09 with 20k is apart now. The 'auto' tensioner had ratcheted the chain to 3/8" free play cold, without even searching for the tightest spot on the chain. They should be at 5/8"-7/8".
So if I pull my primary cover to have a look around and with regards to the chain, how much play should it have if it's adjusted right and how do you measure it? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:25 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Well. .i may have been wrong. There is no posted spec for the auto tensioner free play. Recently someone on another forum pointed out that the springs in the auto tensioner allow an additional 1/2" of movement. So he suggested that 1/4"-3/8" free play is completely normal, for the HD auto tensioner. To measure, you pick a spot on your top chain midway between clutch and compensator, pull down slightly (not much force), then push up the opposite direction. You want to measure that travel distance. Mine barely moved downwards (typical) maybe 1/8" and moved upwards about 1/4". Total movement was 3/8", at that spot. Keep in mind chains have a tight spot which is where you should measure by going in neutral and spinning the rear wheel and checking until you find it. I didn't bother as I had already decided to try out the Hayden M6 tensioner since I'm in there for other upgrades/fixes.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Well. .i may have been wrong. There is no posted spec for the auto tensioner free play. Recently someone on another forum pointed out that the springs in the auto tensioner allow an additional 1/2" of movement. So he suggested that 1/4"-3/8" free play is completely normal, for the HD auto tensioner. To measure, you pick a spot on your top chain midway between clutch and compensator, pull down slightly (not much force), then push up the opposite direction. You want to measure that travel distance. Mine barely moved downwards (typical) maybe 1/8" and moved upwards about 1/4". Total movement was 3/8", at that spot. Keep in mind chains have a tight spot which is where you should measure by going in neutral and spinning the rear wheel and checking until you find it. I didn't bother as I had already decided to try out the Hayden M6 tensioner since I'm in there for other upgrades/fixes.
Alright Matt, thanks for that info. It will come in handy. Going to have a look this weekend and see if I find anything.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The springs allowing an additional 1/2" of play is horse patooty. You were right in your original thinking, you want to find the tightest spot in the chain and measure for 5/8-7/8 free play there. any less then that you will start destroying bearings and bending shafts.

Quick Reply: 2014 Primary Noise?