Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

'07 Super Glide Downshifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
RJSKI
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Super Glide Downshifting Issue

I've read through afew of the forum post here searching for an answer but can't seem to find anything concrete. I recently purchased a '07 Super Glide and this is my first bike. It had 19,850 +/- miles on it when I bought it and forward controls. The seller stated (and confirmed by HD dealership) that the bike had its 20K service done this past March '13. The previous owner only rode approximately 200 miles on the bike (according to the title at time of sale). The seller stated the bike sat for 2-3 months while he was gone on business. I rode the bike a few times, about ten miles per trip just to get used to the bike. The weather was cooler on these days approx. 50-55 degrees. I was able to shift up and down through all six gears with no problem each of my "test rides." I rode the bike to work the other day approx 45 miles, mostly higher speed roads 55-65mph and the temperature was 65-70 degrees. After 20-ish miles, I came to an area with a few traffic lights. I down shifted and must have miscounted the gears as I came down and to a stop. When I went to go again the bike stalled. I quickly figured out that I was in third gear and could not down shift. At the remaining lights/stop signs and turns the bike would not go below third gear. There were no issues shifting up or down between 3rd-6th gear. When I finally got to work and stopped the bike (engine off) I could not get the bike to shift down into second or first. I came back 15-20 minutes later and checked the bike and it shifted down into second, neutral and down into first and back up. On the ride home the same thing, no issues at first, but once the bike got hotter from running I could no longer shift below third, which as you can imagine made all start/stops very interesting to say the least. When I got home I waited about 10 minutes again after stopping and the bike went into the lower gears with no issues.
I tried to do some "YouTube self development" to see if I could figure out the problem, no dice. The shifter linkage is solid into the tranny and seems generally clean.
The only thing I can think of, having read some of the other posts similar to this topic, is that I need to clean/lube my shifter and try to adjust the clutch. I'd really like to avoid going to the stealership if at all possible.
Thanks for any advice/input you have.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start with a clutch adjustment and check all the fluid levels

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

I am trying to read your post and certain parts appear to be saying you are trying to shift while sitting still. If so, even with the engine running you need to rock bike back and forth to shift. Motorcycle transmission have 6 large dogs that drop in (all the gears are meshed at all times)to engage each gear range and need alignment by almost 30-60 degrees of rotation. ( A car manual transmission has fine serrations and brass brake sync rings and will shift while setting still since it only requires a few degrees of rotation) If the motor dies in the upper range and you pull in the clutch, it will not shift correct with just tire rotating. Do not force it. Rock it. Forcing will bend the shift forks.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If you are not able to solve this soon, then don't hang back seeking help from a dealer or indy! They are there to solve problems that you can't.

I agree with Ripsaw, that you may simply have hit a snag by trying to change gear while stationary. Part of the learning process with any bike is being in the right gear at the right time. If you drive a car with a manual trans you can skip from any gear to any other, because of the H-pattern, but not on a bike!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Been having problems with my 07 six speed last couple of years. Problem is not resolved, but this is some of the info researched.
Remove and check amount of fluid in primary. The 07 requires one quart plus 4 oz. Going over or under will cause difficulty shifting. Harley primary fluid is pretty good
While your at it reset the clutch. Plenty of good posts here to explain how to do this, if needed.
Drop tranny fluid and replace with a quart of Redline shock proof for v twin. This is the best out there.
You should have a manual. This will give you all the exact quantity of fluids needed and by studying the transmission assembly provides some knowledge of parts, assembly and operation of the tranny.
Harleys 6 speed tranny is a beast.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
RJSKI
Novice

Sorry for the late response, I appreciate everyone's input. I think my problem was simply "operator error." I've put over 1,000 miles on the bike since this initial problem and have not had any recurrance of the problem. I think I simply needed to pay more attention to my shifting technique, shift while moving and ensure that my engine speed was matching my road speed. I guess I can chalk it up to being a new rider, lesson learned.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

Glad you got it figured out and fixed..and especially coming back..that's the one biggest faults of the Forum