Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

missing bearing in inner clutch ramp

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM
keith_lancaster
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing bearing in inner clutch ramp

i have a 1976 sportster its my first harley and im learning as i go but when i bought the bike the guy told me it had wrong size transmission shim in it and bike wouldnt move well ive been working on it and i adjusted the clutch and it will move but slips bad so i studied the transmission i dont see nothing about a shim in it i looked online and have watched transmission taken apart piece by piece and i dont see a shim however today i was starting to pull transmission and when i pulled primary cover i noticed the inner clutch ramp was moving funny so i pulled and noticed it was missing a bearing so my question is will this cause my slip in the clutch or is there a shim in transmission that i dont know about

Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by keith_lancaster
...... and noticed it was missing a bearing so my question is will this cause my slip in the clutch or is there a shim in transmission that i dont know about
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. By 'bearing' do you mean one of the three *****? If so get three new ones and install them, to see what if anything changes. Move one step at a time!