Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bike shuts down when clutch is released after start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
60driver
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike shuts down when clutch is released after start

2006 Sportster 883L, owned for two years. Replaced the battery, changed oil about a month ago, but haven't had any problems until this weekend. Saturday it was working fine, then Sunday it turned on me. I started it, had the choke fully out, and started rolling forward. Not doing anything different than usual, I rolled the throttle on and let the clutch out all the way. Then the engine quit; still had electrical power though.

Tried it a few more times, in first and second gear, with the same result. It will sit in neutral and idle all day long. I can rev the engine up in neutral (or in gear with the clutch in), but as soon as I start moving and let the clutch out all the way, it quits.

I'm short on free time to mess with it myself, but if it's something that won't be too involved, I'd appreciate any tips to help work on it before taking it to a mechanic. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 PM
flicksport1200
Cruiser

had something similar to that last year , and found that my battery bolts weren't completely tight

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
60driver
Stage IV

Tightened down the battery bolts. That, combined with a little more aggression on the throttle got me moving through the clutch release into 1st gear. Once I bumped up to 2nd, however, I started getting rapid succession pop's out the exhaust synced up with the throttle.

I'm guessing the mixture isn't right - clogged fuel line perhaps? Any easy fixes to this before I limp it over to the shop? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by 60driver
2006 Sportster 883L, owned for two years. Replaced the battery, changed oil about a month ago, but haven't had any problems until this weekend. Saturday it was working fine, then Sunday it turned on me. I started it, had the choke fully out, and started rolling forward. Not doing anything different than usual, I rolled the throttle on and let the clutch out all the way. Then the engine quit; still had electrical power though.

Tried it a few more times, in first and second gear, with the same result. It will sit in neutral and idle all day long. I can rev the engine up in neutral (or in gear with the clutch in), but as soon as I start moving and let the clutch out all the way, it quits.

I'm short on free time to mess with it myself, but if it's something that won't be too involved, I'd appreciate any tips to help work on it before taking it to a mechanic. Thanks!
Not trying to be a jerk, but are you pushing the choke back in after it warms up?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you changed the plugs?
Wild, but sometimes plugs will quit under "load".

also jack up the rear wheel , start it see if will go through the gears at just above idle.. "check drivetrain"

Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
flicksport1200
Cruiser

Originally Posted by heybaylor
Have you changed the plugs?
Wild, but sometimes plugs will quit under "load".

also jack up the rear wheel , start it see if will go through the gears at just above idle.. "check drivetrain"

yeah also if ur plugs are fouled it could make you run on one cylinder too