Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Noise from Primary

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
foxbrow
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from Primary

I posted this in Softails but realize now it was probably posted in the wrong area, so I am reposting here.

I have an '07 Deuce and my primary has developed a noise that only happens when having engaged a gear and then put into neutral. I thought it was a case of a loose chain or sorts.
I drained all oils (I had to do a change anyway), adjusted the primary by 2 notches. This gave me a tension of 3/4".
The cover had a wear mark from where the chain was hitting it - near the bottom front.
I dremmeled the wear just enough to smooth it out WITHOUT taking off any excess.
Cover back on, filled with oil, and still a noisy primary - not nearly as much but still there.
I didn't notice any wear on the automatic adjuster.
Is a new adjuster and/or chain needed? although (I would think) it's still early days to be replacing those - approx. 20,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,476 Likes on 4,602 Posts

Try this:

With the engine running, put the transmission into neutral, and let the clutch lever out, do you hear the noise?

Now pull in the clutch lever and drop the transmission into first gear, did the noise stop?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM
foxbrow
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Try this:

With the engine running, put the transmission into neutral, and let the clutch lever out, do you hear the noise?

Now pull in the clutch lever and drop the transmission into first gear, did the noise stop?
I have done exactly that while at a stop light or such and yes, while still in gear and with the clutch lever in, there is no noise.

When I start the bike to go riding - (in neutral while I get my act together) - no noise. Put it in gear, take it out of the garage, put it in neutral to close the garage door etc, noise appears.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbrow
I have done exactly that while at a stop light or such and yes, while still in gear and with the clutch lever in, there is no noise.

When I start the bike to go riding - (in neutral while I get my act together) - no noise. Put it in gear, take it out of the garage, put it in neutral to close the garage door etc, noise appears.
I tried to attach a file from Harley explaining this condition but it is too large. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. mark@bakerdrivetrain.com