Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator, starter, starter clutch oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM
gdbuick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If you are letting up on the starter switch like the video or the one in this thread, you are causing the action. By letting up before motor gets fully running on both cylinders, you are beating up the starter parts and the ring gear. Don't do that. Real this thread including operator admitting to releasing starter before it's running. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ing-issue.html

I can understand the theory letting up to early. In my case I have not changed my starting habits on this bike or modified it in 4 yrs. My intermittent problem getting worse is such a horrible gut wrenching sound that your brain commands your finger to release the start button without having time to think about. Think finger over hot flame you pull away automatically. It has never happened on the first cold startup. It's such a horrific sound bang/clunk that you would be able to hear loudly across a soccer field that something horrible just happened to that dudes bike from anyone in the area. The sound from the videos don't do justice IMO how nasty this sound is until you hear it in person. Runs perfect once started no other noise in my case. I will be doing the starter drive or comp pending nsanerods results.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Originally Posted by gdbuick
I can understand the theory letting up to early. In my case I have not changed my starting habits on this bike or modified it in 4 yrs. My intermittent problem getting worse is such a horrible gut wrenching sound that your brain commands your finger to release the start button without having time to think about. Think finger over hot flame you pull away automatically. It has never happened on the first cold startup. It's such a horrific sound bang/clunk that you would be able to hear loudly across a soccer field that something horrible just happened to that dudes bike from anyone in the area. The sound from the videos don't do justice IMO how nasty this sound is until you hear it in person. Runs perfect once started no other noise in my case. I will be doing the starter drive or comp pending nsanerods results.
I assume you mast be saying yours make the noise when you have the start button held down? If so, that is not what I am talking about. However, if your battery is old and warn out with low cranking amps, as the starter draws down the voltage from load, the solenoid can loose it voltage necessary to hold starter gear in and in a way be doing what I describe. Ever now and then, mine will bang as soon as I hit the button. The only thing I can figure is the starter gear hits the ring gear in such a way that it does not slide in. It's rare but for me it does it two or three time a year.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM
gdbuick
Novice

I assume you mast be saying yours make the noise when you have the start button held down? If so, that is not what I am talking about. However, if your battery is old and warn out with low cranking amps, as the starter draws down the voltage from load, the solenoid can loose it voltage necessary to hold starter gear in and in a way be doing what I describe. Ever now and then, mine will bang as soon as I hit the button. The only thing I can figure is the starter gear hits the ring gear in such a way that it does not slide in. It's rare but for me it does it two or three time a year.
Yes, when I hold start button down is when I have the noise intermittently that causes my release of the start button before it actually fires up.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
nsanerod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, I cured the nasty noise. It was the starter clutch.
$70 for an AllBalls starter clutch and I am tip-top.
Here is the "after" video. The "before" video is down below.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
gdbuick
Novice

My noise has been solved by replacing my original battery on 08 King. I was measuring 12.5 not running, 13.8 running. Dropped to 10 on starting and sometimes that awfull noise. I installed a new 13 v not running batt and saw it drop to 11 cranking over but no more noise problem, fixed for me by the battery replacement. While my voltage readings not way out of line certainly the age and available cranking amps were. I waited 5 days of riding time to ensure it was fixed before posting. Thanks to all

Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 957 Likes on 457 Posts

If you are letting up on the starter switch like the video or the one in this thread, you are causing the action. By letting up before motor gets fully running on both cylinders, you are beating up the starter parts and the ring gear. Don't do that. Real this thread including operator admitting to releasing starter before it's running. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ing-issue.html
I was just going to say the same thing. All I heard was someone who doesn't know how to mash the start button down and let it do what it's supposed to and instead was pussyfooting with it and burning things up.

Hit that star button and leave it down until the bike cranks!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 957 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by gdbuick
My noise has been solved by replacing my original battery on 08 King. I was measuring 12.5 not running, 13.8 running. Dropped to 10 on starting and sometimes that awfull noise. I installed a new 13 v not running batt and saw it drop to 11 cranking over but no more noise problem, fixed for me by the battery replacement. While my voltage readings not way out of line certainly the age and available cranking amps were. I waited 5 days of riding time to ensure it was fixed before posting. Thanks to all
A cheaper way to help out the battery is to put larger gauge cables on the bike (positive *and* ground, especially the ground). It'll make a huge difference on how much easier the bike will start and lessen the load on the battery immensely.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issues on my bike. The sound is horrible and you all most can feel the pain of the motor on startup. I took the bike in and the ended up changing the compensator and inspected the clutch assembly and the tensioner. Life is good again.
Its amazing how the moco knows what parts will fail on your bike but yet will not do a recall. Just to let you know the lifters will be next from what I understand they are junk also. Mine were just recently replaced also.