Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator, starter, starter clutch oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
nsanerod
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compensator, starter, starter clutch oh my!

I have never been more confused in all my life. I have this noise at startup that is simply horrible. Not to mention embarrassing when even the soccer mom turns around and can tell something is wrong with my bike.

I have a 2009 fxstb night train. I have read at least 500 posts that narrow the issue down to a junk OEM compensator (that should be replaced with an SE Compensator), a new starter, or a new starter clutch. I have read that any combination of these solves that problem and does not solve the problem. And if I read one more post that says, "just search the forum and you find all your solutions" I'm going to puke. Gentlemen, I have searched... and searched. I've watched over 50 youtube videos of every type of creek, grone, scratch a HD makes upon startup.

I started this post as a last ditch effort to find answers before I drop $200 on a compensator, $200 starter, and $100 starter clutch. It has turned into a bit of a rant, so I apologize for that.

Motorcycles are not an exact science. Once you start f'ing with the engine who knows what will break next. I also realize no two bikes are the same. Really?

Now that I am done with my rant I will pick out the least expensive part and start wrenching on my awesome machine. After all, I enjoy tinkering about as much as I enjoy riding. What I don't enjoy is spending hours on the computer trying to figure out my problem.

Thanks to all the great posts and funny comments. That makes searching for a solution bearable.

If none of these parts fix my bike... the next soccer mom that looks at me weird when my bike grinds and chatters on startup had better be really hot and wearing short shorts!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I hope it is not the compensator. They are on back-order until June 14.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Pass on the SE compensator which is also POS. The latest H-D upgrade kit with the glue on tray seems to be working but the aftermarket comes to the rescue again with the Compensaver. A bit pricey but you shouldn't have to replace the starter and starter clutch; just the compansator.

http://www.compensaver.com/

Last edited by djl; 04-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Why not just open it up and take a look? Doesn't cost anything.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Don`t replace the starter. Starter motors are often condemned, but seldom guilty ("I was framed").

Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM
nsanerod
Advanced

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have a video to demonstrate the issue. Hopefully this helps others too.

Last edited by nsanerod; 04-22-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Why not just open it up and take a look? Doesn't cost anything.

Show us what you see....

Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 PM
nsanerod
Advanced

Originally Posted by alansummrs

Show us what you see....
From the research I have done it seems that many people arent actually finding visual signs of wear on the compensator. But I can tear this thing open and throw up some pictures.

I am heading out of town for a few days, so I will check back when I tear into the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

If the comp is the culprit then there will be signs of serious wear w/o a doubt.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nsanerod
From the research I have done it seems that many people arent actually finding visual signs of wear on the compensator. But I can tear this thing open and throw up some pictures.

I am heading out of town for a few days, so I will check back when I tear into the bike.

Thanks for the help.
Well if you see a beautiful compensating sprocket you can move on. I have seen a lot of pics showing brown/rust colored fretting and the spokes of the compensating sprocket chewed up - if you see this, then maybe you are on the road to recovery.

Quick Reply: Compensator, starter, starter clutch oh my!