Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch or Need Adjusting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM
iamawakenowtvm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or Need Adjusting?

It has been a LONG time since I have posted here, but as soon as I had a problem, this is naturally where I come for help...I tried searching this, but could not quite get what I needed.

I have a '12 Fat Boy Lo with 1300 miles on it...Sunday afternoon I met some friends in an empty parking lot to show them 'counter steer, head/eye position, clutch/break for tight turns' etc.

During that time, I think I overheated my clutch...When I went to leave, I noticed my clutch lever was almost fully extended before the clutch would engage.

I know this info is slim, but off the top of your head, do you think I can adjust the cable or have I burnt the clutch up?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 PM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iamawakenowtvm
It has been a LONG time since I have posted here, but as soon as I had a problem, this is naturally where I come for help...I tried searching this, but could not quite get what I needed.

I have a '12 Fat Boy Lo with 1300 miles on it...Sunday afternoon I met some friends in an empty parking lot to show them 'counter steer, head/eye position, clutch/break for tight turns' etc.

During that time, I think I overheated my clutch...When I went to leave, I noticed my clutch lever was almost fully extended before the clutch would engage.

I know this info is slim, but off the top of your head, do you think I can adjust the cable or have I burnt the clutch up?
My take on it is that you need to adjust the center adjuster behind the derby cover, in the center of the clutch pack. I can't make the process any simpler than this
http://www.roadglide.org/showpost.ph...68&postcount=5
Start here and if this doesn't do it....well...you know! Good luck!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Now that your clutch has cooled readjust the clutch. I'd also drop the primary oil to check amount and quality of the oil.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's quite possibly it will be OK after it's cooled down, if not adjust as suggested, by the book.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
iamawakenowtvm
Intermediate
Default Clutch

Thanks guys...It did this last Sunday...Went out yesterday to see if anything had changed and it hadn't.

Where can I go to learn how to adjust it?

Are you talking about the cable or the clutch itself or both?

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

search you tube harley clutch adjustment..it's easy to do.....just don't over tighten the derby cover it strips out pretty easy when your through,i use the teflon sealant on the screws....good luck...

Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 PM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iamawakenowtvm
Thanks guys...It did this last Sunday...Went out yesterday to see if anything had changed and it hadn't.

Where can I go to learn how to adjust it?

Are you talking about the cable or the clutch itself or both?

Thanks again guys.
I have used this very simple method 4 times on 4 bikes and it works well...once you get the hang of it....it's a feel thing but not tough to do. If you don't trust me or this method, then so be it. Best of luck to you...I'll give you the link again in case you want it. Oh and like it says...do it cold.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM
iamawakenowtvm
Intermediate

Thanks brother...I will do that.

Originally Posted by stogieluvr60
I have used this very simple method 4 times on 4 bikes and it works well...once you get the hang of it....it's a feel thing but not tough to do. If you don't trust me or this method, then so be it. Best of luck to you...I'll give you the link again in case you want it. Oh and like it says...do it cold.