Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Ran Out of Belt Adjustment

Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ran Out of Belt Adjustment

I'm new to the site and looked around and didn't see anything on here about this already. If there is, I apologize and will try and search deeper.
I am kinda new to Harleys and needed to work on the rear brakes. (I should've looked on here first but didn't and that's was a hard lesson learned) I have a 2003 Heritage. I removed the rear wheel, brake caliper, etc. Well, I didn't pay too much attention to there not being any notches to lineup the rear wheel nor did I look at how much the adjuster nuts were tightened. With a lot of knowledge on here, I was able to overcome my shortcomings and get it lined up and back together. The issue I am seeing now is that I have completely run out of adjustment for the drive belt. The belt has no wear or cracks and appears to be in great condition. (the bike only has 13K miles). Am I missing something or is there something else at work here. The only thing I could think of was maybe the previous owner changed the front pulley to a smaller one. I am really not wanting to put another belt on the bike. I hope this is just another newby deal and you guys can help straighten me out. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Not sure if this would cause the issue, but I have been looking around and it seems as though I should be measuring my deflection from the top of the belt and not the bottom. I will check it tomorrow and see if this corrects the issue. Anyone who knows if this sounds right, please let me know. Thanks

Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you using a gauge to measure deflection? It doesn't work to just push out all deflection, it is like with ten pounds(?) of pressure to check defection.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

I'm using the belt deflection tool, just curious on whether to do the measurements on the top strand of the belt or the bottom strand.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

are you measuring it with some one sitting on the bike or on the kick stand

Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Stop...look at a manual if possible.
The belt is looser if the bike is in the air...bike on the ground would make belt tighter...placement of weight on the bike (rider+passenger makes it even tighter).
Axle/pulley alignment is critical.
Looser is better than tight since a shock bottoming out places a lot of stress on the belt.
Find a heavy friend to sit on the bike.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input guys. I am doing the measurements with the bike on the ground and a friend sitting on it. He is about 20 lbs heavier than me, I'm 175 lbs. I have made sure the alignment is right using the string method and also with an 8 ft bulb.
I'm really puzzled about this. I've checked, checked, and checked again. I took it for a couple mile ride to see if things relaxed and it might change. It is the same as it was before the ride.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thanks im for the link. I have viewed that one a few times. I have adjusted and checked it. It is currently set to the proper deflection and alignment is correct. The bike rides true and smooth with no unusual noises. My concern now is there being no room left for anymore adjustment. With the bike having low miles, I was trying to see what could be the issue.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

if it is in adjustment and straight now i wouldnt worry about it till it is out of adjustment

i adjusted mine a few times in the first few years and still check it but have not had to adjust it in years. it seems like they strech when they are new and then just stop streching

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran Out of Belt Adjustment