Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

1986 FXR does it need adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
86fxr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 FXR does it need adjustment?

I got a new rivera clutch installed, last week my relay went out but when I got on my bike I noticed that it will not roll in neutral or in gear with clutched engage, I heard things from it needs adjusting, its normal since its a new clutch and needs to break in, its cold, etc, etc. if I could get some clarification id really appreciate it thanks!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged the bike should roll if it's in neutral. The only thing I can come up with, is the trans actually in neutral. Jack the rear wheel clear of the ground, shift to the suspected neutral position, then attempt to turn the tire. If it won't turn, shift up and down while turning the tire. If the tire turns freely at any point, that's neutral. If it still won't turn, it's likely the ratchet needs attention/adjustment.
That's the best I can come up with. Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Does it roll if you pull the clutch lever in? The clutch in engaged with the lever out and disengaged with the lever pulled in. If the bike does not roll with the lever pulled in then yes you need a clutch adjustment.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
86fxr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Does it roll if you pull the clutch lever in? The clutch in engaged with the lever out and disengaged with the lever pulled in. If the bike does not roll with the lever pulled in then yes you need a clutch adjustment.
So just loosen cable, remove cover, loosen locknut, back out back in adjuster till it's tight half step back tighten locknut than adjust cable?