Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Road Glide Clutch Pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts
Default Road Glide Clutch Pack

I found my stator had gone bad and found a lot of metal pieces on it. I checked around in the primary case for the source of the metal. Turned out to be this.

this is the back side of the clutch pack bearing where the mainshaft enters it. This is right about at the point where the mainshaft splines taper up to the smooth surface of the mainshaft before the mainshaft bearing in the primary. I'm not sure if this part of the clutch pack bearing splines are being crushed by the tapered spline groves or if something else is happening. I did remove the bearing retainer clip before taking this picture.
My question is: what would be causing this to occure?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Holy crap, that puppy is chewed up. Was the clutch nut tight on the mainshaft? Is the clutch bearing spinning freely? What do the splines on the mainshaft look like?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

The clutch nut was torqued to spec and the clutch bowl spins freely. I took the clutch plates out to clean them and the bearing still spins freely with no rattle to it. The splines on the mainshaft are clean and in spotless condition.
There was quite a bit of metal bits on the stator but only on the top armatur on the back side against the crank case wall. This stuff was packed on there and wouldn't just wipe off. I had to use a tool to chip it off. Kinda puzzling. The stator is grounded so I have to get a new one.

Last edited by EasternSP; 05-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I had heard about some fretting on that clutch hub, but that is a mess for sure. Looks like a new clutch hub, stator and bearing right? Going to have to completely go through everything in the primary to get all the metal out, what else you thinking?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:50 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I had heard about some fretting on that clutch hub, but that is a mess for sure. Looks like a new clutch hub, stator and bearing right? Going to have to completely go through everything in the primary to get all the metal out, what else you thinking?
the stator for sure. Replace the bearing. I think the clutch hub is ok. Didn't see any problems with it. Will have to wash out the primary of all the metal.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Next, put a run out gauge on the mainshaft, you want no more then .002 run out (Harley will tell you.004) the mainshaft might be bent.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
the stator for sure. Replace the bearing. I think the clutch hub is ok. Didn't see any problems with it. Will have to wash out the primary of all the metal.
My Service Manual makes it look like those chipped splines are part of the clutch hub, what part is it that you replace to get new splines? Just trying to learn, thanks for all the pics.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

The other thing that comes to mind is maybe the clutch nut was over tightened.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Banned

My Service Manual makes it look like those chipped splines are part of the clutch hub, what part is it that you replace to get new splines? Just trying to learn, thanks for all the pics.
You are correct the hub will have to be replaced to get new splines.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

I was calling it the clutch bearing but it is actually the clutch hub. I have a new one on order and it will be pressed into the clutch bowl at a local indy.
I also have a new upgrade stator on order from Cycle Electric. Should be in next Wednesday as well. It will take me a couple of days to put it all back together for a ride on Saturday.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Clutch Pack