Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Dragging on 08 Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 AM
skelly
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Dragging on 08 Streetglide

Hi folks,

I have an 08 FLHX that I can't get the clutch to disengage to the point that the wheel turns freely as it would when the bike was in neutral.

In other words when the bike is not started and you pull the clutch in, you can't move the bike forward or backward. It's like the bike is still in gear.

When the bike is started, the bike does not creep when you have the clutch engage, but you have to really work to move it backward or forward.

I've adjusted the clutch on several occassions and you can clearly see the plates release.

Last night, I pulled the primary cover off (pain in the butt on a streetglide), and removed all the plates. I meassure the thickness on the friction plates and they all seem to be in spec. I cleaned the steal plates as per the service manual and checked them for warpping. As far as I can tell they look to be ok.

With the plates removed, the clutch moves freely and you can easily rotate the tire by turning the clutch hub by hand.

I put everything back together and same issue. The clutch does not slip or creep, but it is not fully disengaging and the shifting at slow speeds sounds and feels clunky.

The bike has 53000 km (33000 miles) on it. I suspected warpped plates because the problems seemed to really become apparent after a trip to Sturgis two up towing a trailer.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You say you can see the plates release,put a dial indicator on the pressure plate, pull the clutch lever and see how much travel you are getting. You should have at least .080.