Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Leaking gear lube from inner primary.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:11 AM
2wheeltravelin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking gear lube from inner primary.......

Hey all. I've been battling this leak for over a year now on a 95 softail nostalgia (flstn) , and think I'm finally getting it narrowed down. I've been slowly leaking gear lube from the inner primary (about a qtr size amnt overnight ) and have replaced all the seals numerous times. Come to find out, w/o the help of the Harley manual, is that it more than likely could be the seal behind the inner race bearing...which must be pulled and replaced in the process. Now the manual doesn't really touch on this , so my question is, what all steps need to be taken once the inner primary is removed? Any other input would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Leaking gear lube from inner primary.......-picsart_1399861339513.jpg  

Last edited by 2wheeltravelin; 05-26-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

It is all in the service manual.

Remove the inner race from the mainshaft.

Remove the main drive gear seal (this is the oil seal that goes into the end of the main drive gear, it seals the space between the main drive gear and the mainshaft), you can remove it using some sheet metal screws, thread them into the metal part of the screw and pull on the screws to remove the seal.

Instal the new seal, you can use a section of pvc pipe to drive it in.

Remove the pulley, then remove the pulley spacer and the big oil seal and the quad seal.

Replace the quad seal, the pulley spacer and the big oil seal.

Remove the small circlip from the shift shaft and remove the shift lever (note the position of the lever before you remove it).

Remove the oil seal from the shifter shaft, and install a new seal.

Remove and replace the starter oil seal and the mainshaft oil seal on the inner primary cover.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

You are gonna need a bunch of specialty tools, too.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM
2wheeltravelin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've gotten to this point. I have been every which way through the manual, and minus a paragraph (nothing about servicing) I'm not seeing where to next. I know the race is next. Then the seal in-between the shafts. How is the removal of both initiated.? Thank you both for your responses. Yea, specialty tools are a necessity. I think I'm getting into the clear.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking gear lube from inner primary.......-picsart_1401146289127.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

It looks like the race has walked into the main drive gear, if so the puller won`t work.

Cut most of the way through the race with a small cutoff wheel on a dremel, don`t try to go all the way through and don`t let the wheel touch the main drive gear.

Once you have a good cut most of the way through, and as long as possible without touching the gear, give it a tap with a hammer and chisel, it should give way.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Dan has gave you one way to get that race off here is another if you have the proper puller. Take the clutch actuator cover off the right side of the transmission and remove the nylock nut from the mainshaft. Take a plastic dead blow or brass hammer and tap on the mainshaft until there is a gap between the race and the maindrive gear on the left side big enough to get the puller on the race. Once the race is removed get a new nylock nut put it on the mainshaft and torque it to 50Ft ilbs this will draw the mainshaft back into position. Then call me and I will ship you one of these so it doesn't happen again.
http://bakerdrivetrain.com/high-torque-bearing-kit

517-339-3835