Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Kristoffm
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Clutch

Hey, I'm in the midst of replacing the starter clutch on my 1974 fxe.

Curious, how do I remove the starter clutch off the shaft? In my factory service manual I see the end of the shaft has threads; just to be sure, these are normal threads? not reverse threads?

And finally, wondering how you more experienced mechanics would keep that shaft from spinning while wrenching the nut off the end. I'm afraid of gauging it and deforming it in some way.

Any other threads on this subject that come to mind? I searched and theres heaps of info on the newer bikes but I haven't found much for us shovels.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about your particular year, but the mainshaft on my 2011 tranny has reverse threads.

I advise trying to find a service manual for your bike. It will tell you exactly how to disassemble and install the starter and clutch, etc.

To answer your question about keeping the clutch/chain/shaft from spinning...they have a tool that you wedge between the clutch and the compensator. Do a youtube search on clutch removal, etc. Some people wedge in towels. I personally just use a short piece of a broom handle that I cut to length and use it like the special tool shown in the service manual. Again, search on youtube.
D

Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Kristoffm
Stage IV

So in my above I refer to my factory service manual which has an exploded view of what I'm trying to disassemble, just no words to accompany. And its not the clutch/chain i'm trying to isolate, nor is it the reverse threads on my tranny. Its the shaft that gets engaged by the solenoid thrusting it's gears into the teeth on the clutch basket. The starter clutch. Its a machined dowel that I need to keep from spinning while wrenching the end nut off and I am at a lose as to how I to keep it from moving while I use what seems to need to be considerable force to free the end nut.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:57 AM
lowered907
Advanced

If I remember correctly the threads are reversed. after I disconnected the battery ithink I just held the teeth of the starter pinion with my hand and it broke loose