Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans lever loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior

Received 1,706 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Trans lever loose

The lever shown in the picture below is really loose. The bolt is tightened as far as it can go though. It slides from side to side on the shaft and jiggles front to back also. Its not the linkage but the vertical lever that's loose. Something that I need to worry about?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Eventually you're going to have to replace it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.aWw

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I've seen many of these loose. You can spend a bunch of money on a part called "The Better Lever" ( it does work but it takes a bit of patience to cut the old lever off ). I have removed the pinch bolt from the lever, cleaned the threads and re-installed the bolt with some blue loc-tite and it has tightened up quite nicely. The other potion is to pull the primary and replace the lever with the stock HD part.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM12
Its not the linkage but the vertical lever that's loose. Something that I need to worry about?
Yes, you need to worry about it.

Get a wrench on it and remove the bolt, and get a new bolt. Don`t use an unmarked bolt from a hardware store, it must be a grade 8 bolt. Use a hex head bolt instead of an allen head.

See if you can remove the lever from the shaft, I think on some of the newer bikes it may be possible.

If you can remove it, inspect it for spline damage, and inspect the shaft also.

If you can`t remove the shaft:

Put some anti seize compound on the threads and under the head of the bolt, install the bolt and get it tight. Tight. Tight.

Oh, I should mention, get the bolt tight.

Hopefully the lever will then be tight on the shaft.

If that doesn`t work, you will need to remove the inner primary cover to replace the shift lever.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are lucky you'll only need to replace the shift lever. This is what mine looked like when I removed the shift lever:

I had to replace the shift pawl as well. That is a little more involved as the gearset needs to come out.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:08 PM
1dn5up
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same problem right now on the new to me bike. the first 3500miles was fine on the 4th day it came loose the bolt was stripped I replaced it with a new and in a couple short rides its loose again. Just ordered a new lever the shaft still looks good so hopfully I only have to pull the side off and replace the one part. but will try to tighten more with out stripping it until the parts get here

Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dn5up
I got the same problem right now on the new to me bike. the first 3500miles was fine on the 4th day it came loose the bolt was stripped I replaced it with a new and in a couple short rides its loose again. Just ordered a new lever the shaft still looks good so hopfully I only have to pull the side off and replace the one part. but will try to tighten more with out stripping it until the parts get here
Make sure you replace all the seals while the inner is off.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

That cast lever is a paper weight, get a real one. Our lever is stainless steel and the splines are broached to avoid stripping.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/truss-style-shift-lever

64 bucks to save you head aches down the road.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM
1dn5up
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is any one else running a heel shifter? It being my first bike with a heel shifter I was thinking maybe I was hitting the up shift a bit to hard?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
That cast lever is a paper weight, get a real one. Our lever is stainless steel and the splines are broached to avoid stripping.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/truss-style-shift-lever

64 bucks to save you head aches down the road.
This is the route that I took, along w/ a new shift pawl (Baker as well). I'm not a fan of doing work twice!!!

Quick Reply: Trans lever loose