Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Replacing drive belt that broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM
maoneill40
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing drive belt that broke

the drive belt on my 2000 Ultra classic trike broke last week. 102575 miles isn't bad for a stock belt right? Anyway after calling around the area it appears there are no independent mechanics that work on harleys. And I don't have 1K to give to the dealer to fix it. So I'm going to fix it myself. I have the service manual and most of the tools already, And while I'm no master mechanic I think this is something I can handle.

Anyway as this will be my first time taking off the primary i figured I'd ask for any tips/tricks any of you have used. I figure after 100k miles I should probably replace any bushings and seals while I'm in there. Should be fun.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 AM
maoneill40
3rd Gear

lots of good stuff on that page, I did a search and didn't find anything that detailed thanks for posting it dawg!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:25 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by maoneill40
the drive belt on my 2000 Ultra classic trike broke last week. 102575 miles isn't bad for a stock belt right? Anyway after calling around the area it appears there are no independent mechanics that work on harleys. And I don't have 1K to give to the dealer to fix it. So I'm going to fix it myself. I have the service manual and most of the tools already, And while I'm no master mechanic I think this is something I can handle.

Anyway as this will be my first time taking off the primary i figured I'd ask for any tips/tricks any of you have used. I figure after 100k miles I should probably replace any bushings and seals while I'm in there. Should be fun.
Only tip I have is to replace the belt with an OEM belt. The fun will wear off about half way into to project; not one you will want to repeat because you saved a few $$ on an aftermarket belt. JMHO.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:06 AM
kadjenter
6th Gear

Get a good sturdy and long 1/2" drive breaker bar to break the crankshaft and drive shaft nuts. Your stock 1/2" ratchet ain't enough.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I do have a couple of other suggestions.

1/2" drive is usually not big enough to break the trans pulley nut loose. Rent a 3/4" electric impact wrench. You will also need the long socket and donut.

Replace all the seals behind the inner primary while you are at it.

Replace the inner primary bearing seal and race.

Check swing arm bearings for wear; might as well replace them and the rubber "donuts" as well.

Inspect both trans and rear wheel pulleys; might be time to replace??

Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted. Sorry, mis-read post.

Last edited by M&P340; 06-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by djl

Inspect both trans and rear wheel pulleys; might be time to replace??
I believe HD actually recommends new pulleys with a new belt.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You are getting good help and tips on this one. For future reference there is an independent mechanic in ridgeway. Troz Mountain Performance LLC
(814) 772-8330,trozmountainperformance@gmail.com

Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM
maoneill40
3rd Gear

All Very good suggestions and I'll take whatever help I can get. Little did I know that the Lehman trike kit on the back is already more work than taking off the primary will probably be. the sprocket in the rearend is encased in steel so slipping the belt around the axle wasn't going to work. I had to completely drop the rear end out and then still couldn't figure out how to seperate the 2 halves of the rearend housing to put a belt on.

So after scratching my head for a few hours and trying everything I could think of I called lehman since I don't have a manual and the one online does not cover it. and left a message with the technical guy. surprisingly he called me back the same day with an answer. seems there are 2 false bolt holes in the housing that you put a bolt in and crank it down to seperate the two halves, something I never would have thought of. so Now i have it apart and cleaned up (100K miles of grease adds up) and ready to go back together and back under the trike. (i'll add pictures later in case anyone else needs to do this in the future). Once I have the rear end back in I'll start on the primary. Now I know why they want to charge 16 hours labor to change the drive belt on a trike.

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Quick Reply: Replacing drive belt that broke