Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Put my mind at ease... BDL open noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM
HolyHandGrenade
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put my mind at ease... BDL open noise.

I just picked up an old Dyna a couple of weeks ago. I just got it rideable a couple of days ago.

The bike came with the BDL open primary installed. I've been searching and I know the clutch chatter is normal. What I'm not sure about is the whining noise I'm getting at take off while letting the clutch lever out.

Here's a video of the sound. Thank you.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Most of the noise you hear used to be trapped inside the primary. Now you can hear it. To be honest, I didn't hear anything I'd be concerned about.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 PM
HolyHandGrenade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Most of the noise you hear used to be trapped inside the primary. Now you can hear it. To be honest, I didn't hear anything I'd be concerned about.
Hey, thank you. I asked on another forum and was told to take the clutch plates out and clean them.

I like your answer better!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 AM
HolyHandGrenade
Intermediate

Alright, I got bored this evening...

This is what I found when I took the clutch pack out:

I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and reassembled it. Those metal shavings are a little disconcerting

Also, it here were 14 discs. 7 smooth and 7 friction. I was supposed to start with a smooth when putting them back in, correct?

Edit: Actually, I just read the instructions on the BDL site. It seems that I'm missing a smooth plate. There's supposed to be 15. Starting and ending with a steel. Good time to order the ball bearing lockup clutch I think.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Open belt drives are noisy as hell sometimes.....Sounded normal to me.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:15 AM
HolyHandGrenade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Open belt drives are noisy as hell sometimes.....Sounded normal to me.
The noise doesn't really bother me. The metal shavings do though. Is that just normal wear of the plates? The missing plate is worrisome too.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade
The noise doesn't really bother me. The metal shavings do though. Is that just normal wear of the plates? The missing plate is worrisome too.

Missing plate would not be a good thing.....The metal shavings are not typical either in my experience.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Metal shavings aren't normal.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Are the shavings steel or aluminum? Take a good look at the basket I got a feeling that is where the shavings are coming from and not from the plates.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
HolyHandGrenade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Are the shavings steel or aluminum? Take a good look at the basket I got a feeling that is where the shavings are coming from and not from the plates.
Thank you,

Yeah, the plates don't have any grooves or gouges, so that makes sense. I didn't think to see if the shavings were steel,or aluminum. They're all cleaned up now.

I noticed yesterday a problem with the rear pulley. The clutch pack is out. If I turn the hub that the smooth metal plates run on the big belt pulley wobbles in and out. I'm assuming this is the source of the filings...

I pushed the bike into the back of the garage. I've been fixing one thing after the other on it since I bought it " ready to run" from a Harley Mechanic... This guy is a real tool. He supposedly rebuilt the trans. Every oil line was loose. The oil sending unit was just sitting in place. Now that I fixed the lines and sender, I can see that it's leaking badly from the top cover gasket, oil fill gasket, and one pushrods tube base. He might work at the dealership, but I seriously hope he's no touching customers bikes!

I have to,get back to working on my house. The bike is on the back burner for now. Winter project perhaps.

Last edited by HolyHandGrenade; 06-23-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Put my mind at ease... BDL open noise.