Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

belt tension causing vibration?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM
fro10987
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default belt tension causing vibration?

first off let me say this is my first HD so please forgive the ignorance (if and when it happens!)

I purchased an 05 flhtcui used and have only put about a 100 miles on so far. unfortunately I don't yet have a service manual so I am hoping to get some help/advice before it arrives.

the bike runs out good on acceleration seems smooth. on decel it has a pretty strong vibration that goes away when the clutch is pulled in. which makes me think belt tension is the issue.

I spoke to my local dealer parts guy and was told 5/8"to 3/4" is what the belt should move when cold with main rider on bike. also told to do adjustment in neutral after rolling the bike forward a few feet.

I have read many post on the forum about belts being to tight causing major problems. would I be better to error to the looser side of the adjustment as I do ride with a 130# passenger quite frequently which I would guess would also effect the belt tension a little?

I have not had a belt drive in the past so I am unsure of how much you would feel the belt drive ( I would think it would be very minimal if any) but I don't like to assume anything.

Am I correct thinking that the adjuster system on the back wheel is going to maintain a true running tire? the bikes rides straight

any advice would be much appreciated