Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch catch early then loosen, fixed with good synth

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM
roadWorrier
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking clutch catch early then loosen, fixed with good synth

here's one that hopefully may save someone a bit of mula. To net it out, I had a clutch that would catch a bit early, then release some, then catch again. I changed out the oil in the primary crankcase and replaced it with a good synthetic ATF and now it works as well as it used to work, with a more predictable and smooth engagement.

It's a 2009 FLHR. The clutch worked great the first 29,000 or so miles. That is, it would start to engage about 3/4" - 1" from the grip, and as I let it out more, then it would engage more in a smooth and progressive manner. I've used Mobil 1 Syth ATF ever since it had 1000 mi. NO, that's not an endorsement, and I realize this is just one of many fine products for the job. This is just what I picked after viewing many posts at this web site, and I'm sure you have your own favorites.

Then I had problems right around 30k mi. Too many details to get into it. Good thing this good wrench at the HD dealer knew what to do. End result, he ended up changing some of the plates in the clutch. He also put the HD Synth blend in the primary.

Well, since then, the clutch seems to engage a lot more right at that 3/4 - 1" spot. But then about 1/4" past that it seemed to loosen up some. And then engage again just a bit past that, and progressively engage until just before full extension of the lever. Weird, right?

So, I ran it 3k mi that way. I then drained the HD oil and replaced it with what I usually run (see above), and - problem solved. The clutch now engages just as it used to, before problems arose.

So anyhow, this was a huge relief for me. I was really not wanting to run across a problem that was harder and more costly than what I've already experienced. I was happy that something as simple as a good synth oil in the primary fixed what may have otherwise been costly to troubleshoot.

I hope the info helps someone in a similar situation.

Rock on, Garth.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like it is/was your clutch.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I've been running type F ATF in the primary for years on my shovel and evo with no problems at all.

Griz