Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Ironhead Transmission Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 AM
79xls
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead Transmission Install

Hello I have a 79 XLS I am installing the transmission back into. Nothing has changed from when I took it out and its going back into the same case. My question is, upon getting it in and bolted down, I have experience several different problems.
1. once they 4 bolts are torqued down to recommended torque the shifter will be "stuck" however if I back the bolts off a little I can then shift(Maybe this transmission just takes a little less torque?
2.If the above problem didnt happen say I didnt torque the bolts all the way or the 1 time it didnt effect the shifter it seems that I cannot shift through all teh gears maybe only one or two of them.
3. a couple times I was able to get through all the gears but spinning the shafts in one of the gears it would free spin but then seemed to bind up and I could not turn it any farther forward or backwards.
Any ideas or can you point me in a direction, all washers and spacers are in the same place as when it was pulled. I have all 23 roller bears in properly , I have even not installed them until after the tranny was in. Of course on the outside I had the washer and the retaining ring also. I had applied some statup oil/lube on the bearings in the case and where the shifter goes into the case. All bushings are in good condition.