Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Taking it apart again....

Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Gibbs03EG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking it apart again....

Hi everyone,
I have an 03 Electra Glide Standard with 40,000 miles on it. I have had a few shifter shaft/pawl/linkage issues since I bought the bike two years ago, and now I am tearing it apart again...I can't believe how stupid this design is!

This time I want to replace anything reasonable that will be already opened up, so that I don't have to keep tearing stuff apart. My rear shifter arm coming off the shaft out of the tranny is once again loose. I have replaced it once already and now tried putting new and stronger bolts in and tightening it down, but no luck. There is oil leaking so I am pretty sure the shifter shaft seal is gone as well.

So my questions to all you with superior knowledge are....

1) To replace the shifter shaft and pawl assembly, as well as the seal, what do I need to remove? From my own research it looks like the primary, the top transmission cover and side door, as well as the guts of the tranny. Is that correct? Any advice to make it smoother?

2) Specifically, what other seals and bearings should I replace while I am in there?

3) What other parts are worth replacing now while I'm in there? I am considering the clutch. Should I just do plates or the whole basket? or leave it? Belt, sprockets? Chain? nothing so far seems to have any significant wear, but I just want to be issue free for a bit.

4) Oh ya, any crazy tools I will need? Any home made options? I don't need the locking tool for the sprockets and chain. Bearings and seals or tranny stuff I am more worried about.

Thanks for your time and advice, it is much appreciated.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Are the splines on the shifter pawl worn or rounded? The stock lever is cast and softer then the shifter pawl and usually fails before the pawl.Here is an alternative:

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/truss-style-shift-lever

If the shifter pawl is bad then yes the gear set has to come out and you will need a tool to pull the inner primary bearing race off the main shaft.

As for other things you should replace go I'd say if nothing is broke or leaking keep it to a mininum. The bearing door, actuator cover and top cover gaskets should be replaced along with any other seals or gaskets that appear damaged. You will also need a new snap ring and seal for the shifter pawl.