Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

FXR4 leak from inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM
LouFXR4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXR4 leak from inner primary

I think I have found the leak which has been throwing oil all the way to the back wheel. I bought the service manual but can't identify what I'm looking at. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
This is the rear of the inner primary just in front of the kick stand. The bike is a 2000 FXR4 with an 80 cu.in. EVO engine.

Attached Thumbnails FXR4 leak from inner primary-leak_zpsae1600d7.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,538 Likes on 3,054 Posts

That looks like the back side of the threaded portion that supports the lower bolt for your primary chain adjuster. Maybe it was bottomed out by a too-long bolt and got a crack reaching to the outside in the process? (See where the lower bolt hole would be in this pic?)

Last edited by Stiggy; 08-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Seen people suggest numerous ways to stop a leak, but chewing gum is a new one?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM
LouFXR4
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Seen people suggest numerous ways to stop a leak, but chewing gum is a new one?
Nah, this is Alabama, that was the first suggestion I got from a friend. My question was "Juicy Fruit of Double Bubble ?"

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM
LouFXR4
2nd Gear

I guess the best thing to do is drain the primary and get the chewing gum cleaned out then see what the hole looks like. I've never worked on this bike much except getting the float unstuck on the carb. Does this look like something I might want to try or should I leave it to someone else who is supposed to know what they are doing?

I don't understand why the bike would have needed the inner primary worked on with just 10,000 miles. I did have the dealer replace the voltage regulator after a near death experience on I-459, but other than that just a 5,000 mile service when I bought the bike (with 9,000 miles on it), tires, brake service and a change of the outer primary gasket which was probably the leak I still have and not the outer primary.

It seems like every time the weather is nice the bike is having issues.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you sure the leak is coming from that "bubble gum" spot?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,538 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I'd clean it up really well first and then try an expoxy patch (or maybe some JB Weld,) and see if that solves the problem. The primary is vented to the tranny so is a low pressure environment.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 AM
LouFXR4
2nd Gear

I'm going to give it a closer look today to try and find another place the fluid may be leaking, then I'll clean the underside. If I don't see a leak while it's cold I'll take a short ride to see if I can zero in on the leak. I'll post an update when I know more. I did hear from someone who had a similar glob of silicone in the same place and it wasn't a problem for him.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
LouFXR4
2nd Gear

Here is an update on the leak. Below is a photo of the leak reappearing overnight, so that is where the fluid is coming from. The silicone plug is factory work, I found a similar plug a few inches above the leak and they match the location of the chain tensioner. I will remove the outer primary cover and the tensioner, clean out the old plug and replug the hole with fresh silicone. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll be back with an update when I'm done or if I need a little more help.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Good job pinpointing the problem. Should be good news, some other leaks would be a lot more time consuming and expensive to fix.

Quick Reply: FXR4 leak from inner primary