Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary found with no oil after service

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Renman56
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Primary found with no oil after service

OK...after replacing my belt, it appears my local dealer in Branford, CT failed to put oil back in my primary case. After a hundred miles or so I started hearing a metal to metal clinking noise. I opened up the side viewing hatch only to discover the chain bone dry and no oil in the primary case.

So...how bad is it? Advice and thoughts welcome.

2003 Road King Classic
63000 miles.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

100 miles hopefully didn't hurt anything. My BIL had his 1k service done at local dealership on his obviously new Tri-Glide and they never refilled the primary. I called them up and told them about it and they said to bring it back and they would dump a quart in. I told him I already did but they could give me a quart to replace the one I put in and they said no, we cant do that. Apparently they can charge for oil and not put it in but they cant refund anyone for something they charge you for but fail to do.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No bs here,

I would have to think about that. If they left primary oil out, I would be requesting they replace clutch, chain, all tensioners, compensator, you name it.

100 miles is a ways to go with 0 lubrication.

What did you have in it prior to them draining it?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 AM
hollywood081470
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I would have it put into your service records, AND get a printed copy of it, so you have it on file ...... just in case

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Had that happen to me as well. Had them put on a chrome inner primary before delivery of the bike. After a few days noticed a leak between the inner primary and the motor. Took it back, had it "fixed" a couple days later there is the leak again. Well I figure the 3rd. time's a charm right. Bring it home and notice a bit of a whine coming from the primary. Open the cover and you guessed it bone dry. Guess that's one way to fix a leak. Fortunately I am only 15 or so miles from the dealer so don't think I fugged anything up. This was back in 08 so I'm sure it would have shown up by now. However my compensator seems to be making more noise now but that' a story for another day.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Renman56
OK...after replacing my belt, it appears my local dealer in Branford, CT failed to put oil back in my primary case. After a hundred miles or so I started hearing a metal to metal clinking noise. I opened up the side viewing hatch only to discover the chain bone dry and no oil in the primary case.

So...how bad is it? Advice and thoughts welcome.

2003 Road King Classic
63000 miles.
If you think that's bad I had my bike serviced and same thing happened only I was on my way to Sturgis several yrs ago from Eastern Pa. Anyway as I neared Ohio I started getting a little clacking noise from primary only when I slowed down ( I was mostly banging out miles on Interstate with little stopping). Wasn't bad but not normal. Unfortunately was Sat evening. I kept going and listening

I got to Sioux falls Harley when they opened Monday they pulled primary NO OIL!! What!!!! 1000 mi no oil. Chain was stretched so max adjustment just kept it from hitting housing ( which was the noise I heard).

They had no chain in stock, clutch looked ok and so did comp.Was it a miracle or just luck Had amsoil in before they serviced it. finished trip and brought back to indy who replaced everything no charge.

I service my bike myself these days. Don't need surprises like