Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch disengage

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's connected and moves the clutch seemingly fine and about the right amount. I'm thinking about just starting it up and seeing if I can throw it in gear and pull it back out.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

For future reference when referring to a clutch it is engaged when the lever is out and disengaged when the lever is pulled in. Disengagement means the plates are seperated. if you are not getting enough disengagement then the bike will shift hard and it will be tough to find neutral. Again if you have a dial indicator put it on the pressure plate and see how much travel or disengagement you are getting when you pull the lever in. .090 would be optimal. If you are not getting at least .080 then you will need to fine tune your adjustment. When you pull the clutch handle in does it come all the way back to the bar?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 AM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
For future reference when referring to a clutch it is engaged when the lever is out and disengaged when the lever is pulled in. Disengagement means the plates are seperated. if you are not getting enough disengagement then the bike will shift hard and it will be tough to find neutral. Again if you have a dial indicator put it on the pressure plate and see how much travel or disengagement you are getting when you pull the lever in. .090 would be optimal. If you are not getting at least .080 then you will need to fine tune your adjustment. When you pull the clutch handle in does it come all the way back to the bar?
Thanks that's my fault for labeling it wrong. Yes comes back to the bar looks feels and seems to have all good separation.

I read in a newer bikes post that they had some kind of switch that they had to reset. Any one know if this old 89 has something hidden some where that needs to be released so it goes back to working?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

No switch.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Here's a pic of what's under the derby.

This is clutch cable adjusted properly and with the lever out is the clutch is engaged. When clutch in it moves out a tiny bit and the middle screw becomes level with the ground or parallel to the ground.

Wondering if that nut isn't seated properly in the housing since it doesn't touch perfectly in the corners.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch disengage-image.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Fully adjusted everything. Took the primary off went through everything. All looks good no visible problems other than the back plate that holds the clutch cable on the primary cover has three small bolts and 2 tabs that hold those bolts tight. One of the tabs broke off but I recovered it on the drain plug since it's magnetic. There was a bit a metal mixed in there as well but not large chunks just a bit of shaving over the years.

At the end of the day it still won't disengage the clutch when in gear. Also while up in fourth it didn't seem to engage at all. Got to play it with it some more but I'm thinking it's going to the grave yard.